Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Elaine
Frequent user May 2017 Ontario

is it ok to stay in two appartments after marriage?

Elaine, on August 11, 2016 at 11:51 Posted in Living together 0 9

Hi all! i really like my appartment i have everything in there... it was the little home i built for myself when i first arrived in this city where i didnt know anyone. my fw and i have been talking about moving in together after the wedding and move into a new place together but i really dont want ot leave my appartment. im good here. its my life you know... and she really likes hers too and i dont think she wants to move somewhere else either... so is it ok to still stay in two different appartments after your married?

9 Comments

Latest activity by Melissa, on June 14, 2019 at 14:54
  • Melissa
    Devoted May 2019 Alberta
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it could work temporarily, but will cause issues down the line.

Do you have the option of moving in to a completely new apartment together? That way you both get to start fresh, but together?

• Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ultimately its up to you.

But I also agree with Nelly: Marriage is about compromise, and maybe in this case, compromise needs to come from both sides, and you should look for a new place together.

Is living together something that you want in your future?

Believe me, I get the apartment attachment. I cried when I left my first place. But I quickly came to the realization that it was just a place, and the person I loved was worth letting it go. Home is wherever he is.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Having your 2 apartments can work if your staying in different parts of the city and need to be closer. Make one of your home the family home and the other for each other to get away if needed to write or project wise.

Not sure if you have seen Sex and the City series, Carrie does the same at times to write her columns for the newspaper.

Its also nice for family to stay at the other apartment if you don't have enough room at your current apartment.

• Melissa
    VIP June 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The only thing to do is ask your FW if that sounds like a good idea! If you both agree, then go for it, if you are both happy with your places, no need to move.

You don't HAVE to stay in your apartments forever either; if you both decide you want to live together later on you can. Play it as it comes, if changes need to be made, make them

• Nelly
    Expert September 2017 Ontario
    Nelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it will get complicated reaaly quick, marriage is about compromise I think one of you should move. Living apart is just like dating why get married, there seems to be an ulterior motive

• Olivia
    Frequent user January 2017 Nova Scotia
    Olivia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it can be ok for a while but then it might get a little complicated with time. Especially if you want to have a family together.

• Sharon
    Frequent user October 2017 Alberta
    Sharon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it's fine if it works best for both of you.

• Emilie
    Featured Quebec
    Emilie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Elaine! Smiley heart

I know what you mean. I moved to new cities too and when you finally find a sense of home, you just feel like staying where you are. It's the home you made for yourself!

I think this really depends on how you see your future as newlyweds. You should discuss it with your FW and see what she thinks.

In any case, there are different ways you can bring your wedding inside your home.

Here are a few decor ideas for once you get married. Smiley winking

How will you display your wedding pictures?

5 pillow ideas for Mr. and Mrs.

Have you changed your habits at home since you got engaged?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics