Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Beginner September 2023 Quebec

Is it needed?

Julie, on April 1, 2023 at 09:11 Posted in DIY 0 15
As I'm doing more and more DIY planning, I'm having some questions about a few things, and whether or not they are needed.
I'm hoping someone can please give me some input on what are the purposes of:
1) programs (could I do just one schedule sign?) 2) menus (the guests will get to choose their meal in advance on the RSVP, not at the event itself) 3) bar signs (I've seen all sorts of super cute signs with hand painted cocktails and stuff, but is it needed?)
Thanks in advance!

15 Comments

Latest activity by Dana, on April 5, 2023 at 22:06
  • Dana
    Newbie July 2023 Ontario
    Dana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think all 3 are optional and menus and programs are not needed

• C
    VIP September 2023 Ontario
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Signs and programs are not needed, I think we just do it for fun or to add extra.

I made a signature cocktail sign 3 drinks for three of my furr babies, I did a welcome sign that we can then hang at the entrance of our place after the wedding, and a guest book sign.

I see programs and cute ways to make them fun, but I'm done planning, everything but the seating chart is ready and I am doing that a lazy way.

It's all about what you want and how you want your wedding look.

• J
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you for the input! Good to hear that everyone pretty much agrees that I don't need it all haha
  • KELLY
    Super October 2023 Ontario
    KELLY ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think you could put the money/efforts elsewhere. Other than a welcome sign or a time line at the entrance of the venue, or a signature cocktail if you're having one.

• Kate
    Featured August 2022 Ontario
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes, Ive also seen this! I think it's a cute touch and if you guys do have a favourite drink but it's an extra thing and totally not something that would be missed.

We had a signature cocktail sign, it was really a mojito but I did it to incorporate our puppy into the day - that really was the main purpose.

Is it needed? 1

• J
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you for the input!
  • J
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Good to hear that things work out without programs or signs! Our reception is in the same place, just the cocktail is in a different room, so hopefully they figure it out haha
  • Mila
    Frequent user October 2023 Ontario
    Mila ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    1. Personally I’ve never looked for a program, one timeline somewhere near the entrance after the ceremony is plenty.
    2. Menus at most one per table. Even without that I’m sure most people will just ask around what the options were to remember.
    3. Maybe one bar sign, I’ve seen most type it up and placed it in a picture frame as someone else here mentioned they also did.
  • Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We didn't do programs or a sign. We had the ceremony start time on our invites and website and the website let everyone know they could head right to the reception after. We also had our officiant let everyone know they could head to the reception right after.
    Didn't do anything for menu.
    Our bar sign was super basic. I typed out what we had (had to supply our own booze) printed that off and put it in a picture frame
  • J
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    In terms of the bar, we chose the "standard package" so it has the basics for the most common cocktails (Gin, vodka, tequila, Jameson, Jack Daniel's, Bacardi). Plus a handful of wines and beers. In this case do you think I should indicate this with a sign? I don't want to go overboard on signage like you said, but I also don't want anyone to be confused.
    Also a lot of the signs I see on here/FB/Pinterest have like His/Hers cocktails, what is that all about?
  • J
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    For the bar, it's most kinds of common liquor, but the bottom shelf versions lol. But basically people could order most cocktails with the selection they have, plus a few kinds of wine and beer. So I don't know if a sign is needed to indicate this?
  • Kate
    Featured August 2022 Ontario
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Agree with all that was said, I think you can get away without but it can be helpful to have one sign posted and/or 1 menu per table. I did menu cards strictly for the aesthetic of the table to be honest lol but if it was not in the budget, I definitely would have scratched it.

Bar menu I think is nice and avoids the bartender having to repeat options all evening (then again you are counting on a guest actually reading it, some do and some don't). Sometimes I think there is too much signage at a wedding and sometimes I think not enough and it can help give direction but in the end, everyone talks to each other and finds stuff out I'm sure lol,

• Julie
    Featured May 2023 Ontario
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think you could get away with one sign posted in either lobby/entrance area or cocktail hour. For the menus, I wouldnt do per person, maybe one for each table?? You are gonna have that one guest per table who doesnt remember what they ordered and wanting know what it comes with. If you have specific booze for the bar, then definitely would have thay posted.
  • J
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah exactly, that's what I thought, it seems like a waste of time/money/paper but I was wondering if there's some real purpose I didn't think of. Thanks!
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Personally I don't think programs and and menus are needed. Most of the time guests just leave them on the table and that's just a waste of money in my eyes. You'll have the times of ceremony and dinner times on your invite?

You could do a bar sign if you have some unique cocktails

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics