Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Rachel
Frequent user September 2022 Alberta

Is anyone else not excited for the honeymoon?

Rachel, on January 5, 2021 at 12:06 Posted in Honeymoon 0 22
We are saving for a house and we visit the beach every summer when we visit family, I just can't seem to force myself to want to go anywhere, especially when I want to skip it and save for a house, but fiance doesn't share my feelings lol. I'm not a huge fan of travel in general either, and everywhere I'm interested in really breaks the bank.

Can anyone change my mind with some exciting honeymoon plans they have? Is anyone planning to stay more local? Points if your plans are budget friendly Smiley tongue

22 Comments

Latest activity by Rachel, on January 13, 2021 at 12:57
  • Rachel
    Rachel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That sounds amazing! Hopefully you enjoy it lots until you and your wife are able to travel Smiley smile
  • Jennifer
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our wedding is in August and although we really wanted to travel out of country for our honeymoon, I think we’re going to opt for doing a last minute local road trip due to Covid concerns abroad.

We plan to rent a nice luxury car for the week and rent a place in the fancy hotels (each for a day or two) all along southern Ontario. Places like St. Anne’s spa and Elora Mill which we would typically never splurge on!
    We don’t want to put money down in advance just in case of further shut downs or businesses going under, but that kind of makes it more adventurous and unpredictable! And if by some miracle it’s safe to travel internationally we can just book a last minute trip abroad. ☺️

• Krista
    Beginner June 2021 Alberta
    Krista ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Me and my FH are both huge outdoorsy people. We love the mountains and camping, fishing, dirt biking, etc. We have planned for a guided fishing trip on the Fraser river.

• Rachel
    Rachel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We were thinking of Vegas as well but I didn't find anything overly nice or romantic that I liked so we are going to go another time with friends. We have always wanted to go to California! Hopefully it will be OK to travel in the not so distant future.
  • Jessica
    Curious August 2021 Alberta
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I vote to definitely not skip the honeymoon! it doesn't have to be an extravagant trip somewhere if that's not what you want! You could go to Vegas for a weekend or drive somewhere in BC! Our trip to California got cancelled in 2020 so we may mix that into our honeymoon!

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have been married before and my absolute biggest regret that stayed with me is that we didn't go on a honeymoon for various reasons (mostly cost). I will not go without a honeymoon this time. We may have to wait a little extra time until its safe to go but it is something that is important to both of us. Even if it a small get away do something with just the two of you.....
  • Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I was so excited for our Maui honeymoon. We had beach days, hikes, and scenic drives planned and covid lasting as long as it has has definitely put a damper on that. We actually did a local getaway to a cabin by the sea for my birthday/minimoon which was so relaxing and much needed. Bonus was we only travelled 45 minutes and didn’t have to quarantine.
  • Bailey
    Curious October 2021 Alberta
    Bailey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re saving for a house as well and If we end up getting a cheque or 2 as gifts that’s going in the house fund. We currently have money in a west jet travel bank due to traveling flights due to covid ... he mentioned a honeymoon but I’m on the fence aswell !
  • Caitlyn
    Frequent user September 2021 Alberta
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our initial plan for a honeymoon was Italy and Greece, and since we realized the likelyhood of that happening is slim, we have decided to just postpone our honeymoon until we are able to travel. We are getting married in the mountains on a Friday, and we've booked our air b&b until the Sunday so we will just relax and kick back or a few days after the wedding.
  • Ashley
    Newbie July 2022 Newfoundland and Labrador
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Do something you both truly enjoy. You could have the best honeymoon somewhere small and cheaper a weekend or week alone and still save for your house Smiley smile
  • Rachel
    Rachel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you! The more I think about postponing the more I think it's not for us, we will have to see what's local just in case
  • Kim
    Curious October 2020 Ontario
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We had originally wanted to head to Europe, but that changed with the pandemic. Instead, we rented an Airbnb in a part of the province that we hadn't been to together. Only a two hour drive, on a beautiful lake, hot tub, fireplace. We stayed for a week and it was ridiculously relaxing!

I would highly recommend getting away for a few days post-wedding! It doesn't have to believe expensive or exotic... Just get away from everyday stresses and enjoy the beginning of life together!
  • Gloria
    Expert October 2022 Ontario
    Gloria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I hear ya and agree with you- at the same time kinda disagree LOL. Unfortunately depending on where you want to go it can be pretty pricey (around 10K) which you could definitely use to put down on a wedding. I would perhaps look at something within ON that won't break the bank that way you get the best of both worlds.

When my friend got married, they lived in Ajax (just outside of Toronto), so instead of going away for their honeymoon, they rented a condo downtown toronto for a week and that was kinda their honeymoon.

• S
    Newbie November 2022 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey there! My fiancé and I decided that we were going to do something small and local-ish for our "honeymoon" because we'd rather work on having a house first. We plan on doing our real honeymoon for our 5 year anniversary instead. I think having a different goal instead of a crazy honeymoon is a great alternative, if that fits your desires better. We live in Ontario and plan on doing something maybe just a few hours from our home.

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Since my fiance and I are getting married in Kelowna BC, we're deciding to stay there for 3 weeks and enjoy my hometown for a bit. Our original honeymoon planes have changed. We were going to go for our one year anniversary and head down to California to go to Disneyland and all of the attractions down there. It's very unlikely that we'll be able to go there for a while with covid. I'm sure our dream honeymoon of Disneyland will happen at some point!

• Rachel
    Rachel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    This actually sounds really nice!! I'll have to see what's out there for sure
  • Kim
    Devoted June 2022 British Columbia
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are going to a local resort/spa in BC and I am so excited! We plan on getting couples massages, going for hikes, swimming in the pool and sitting in the saunas. Not to mention all the wineries in the area as well! It should be a nice way to relax and just be together after the wedding.

• Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We never got around to planning it because our wedding plans were upended last year. We're hoping to have our reception sometime next year because all restrictions should be lifted by then if nothing horrible happens and we'll likely do something after that. But I think a lot of poorer countries won't be fully vaccinated until the end of 2022 so it might be a while before I feel okay travelling internationally or before some countries like New Zealand and Australia for example open their borders to visitors.

• Rachel
    Rachel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Have you settled on a honeymoon location? I have a few ideas for road trip destinations if it comes to it, I will look into Radium and Banff and see if anything pops up Smiley smile
  • Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I love travelling so I'm very excited to go on a honeymoon and just to be able to travel in general. My travel wish list right now includes Vietnam, Peru, New Zealand, the Maritimes, road trip through Washington/Oregon, Hawaii, Disneyland, and so many more haha.

There are plenty of things you can do if you don't want to break the bank. Since you're looking to have your honeymoon this year you're probably going to be limited to Canada. A road trip could be relatively inexpensive, especially if you are travelling with an RV/camper/tent. You could also rent a cabin on airbnb - BC might be a good option that's close by but still feels like you're travelling somewhere. Or if you honeymoon during the winter you could book a few nights in the mountains and maybe visit some hot springs, do a spa day, lots of room service lol. Radium could be good for that?

• Rachel
    Rachel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes that's true, we are getting married in September as well and fingers crossed we will all be able to travel by then !! I suppose I shouldn't complain while so many have to postpone their honeymoons altogether
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm assuming that being from Calgary, Banff probably doesn't excite you as much lol

I would like to go away for our honeymoon but until covid becomes a thing of the past, it's not something I would even entertain at the moment. There's nothing "local" that I would want to use as my honeymoon because I take my fiancee to various cities and towns in Ontario all the time.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics