Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jenn
Frequent user April 2019 Saskatchewan

Is a recessional necessary?

Jenn, on March 10, 2019 at 21:47 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 9
We will be staying at our ceremony venue. If we "exit" our ceremony by incorporating a recessional, we are literally just walking to the other side of the room. Suggestions: yes, no??? Would our families just swarm us at the altar if we skip the recessional?

9 Comments

Latest activity by Candace, on March 16, 2019 at 23:07
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree with Holly that it brings a sense of closure to the ceremony and gives people that cue to start moving etc. What if you do the recessional and you both step outside after to have a moment just the two of you after the ceremony? If you have a photographer they can grab a couple of “just married” photos of the two of you and then you can go back inside to all your guests
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I mean it makes sense having it because then how will you end it.. just stand there? People just aimlessly start walking?
    Having a recessional is just a way to get out of the ceremony to start the rest of the wedding. It's just the order in which you exit the ceremony hall/room. Just keeps things organized and looks better than just ended and the doing whatever.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I know you have made your decision. My input was to skip it if you are planning on taking group pictures after the ceremony. This is what we did as I made the announcement and the program did have it on the end of it which some guests ignored.

Don't skip it if you feel that will add some touch to leading the guests from the ceremony site.

• Jenn
    Frequent user April 2019 Saskatchewan
    Jenn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thank you for your comments, I appreciate it! Recessional it is!
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree and do the recessional!

After our ceremony, we are doing pictures in the area so while it seems silly to walk across the room only to walk back after the guests leave, BUT guests also take the recessional as a cue that the ceremony is over and will move on to the next thing. There's a side hallway we'll go down with the photographer/family/wedding party so guests won't just swarm us at the back of the room. I thought about skipping recessional too, but I absolutely want to have us announced as a married couple and then have the recessional.

Also yes, they will swarm you at the alter if you don't do it!

• Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

No, Don' t skip it, it's your first introduction as a married couple. Even if it is just crossing the other side of the room it let's people know that the ceremony is over and the next step proceeds. Just have fun with it!!

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would keep it not only for pics, but to avoid a "now what?" moment and people cutting across the aisle to the other side of the room.

Plus if you plan on having a receiving line then you are ready for them!

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree! These are some of my favourite pictures from weddings. There is just something fun about it! I feel that if you just hang out at the alter and have everyone come up there it would get congested. Most guests are used to a recessional and will follow the bride and groom, so this would give everyone an opportunity to stand up and then follow you guys

• Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I like a recessional personally, it's like a victory round lol. You might miss that bit if you decide not to include it. Also, it makes for some good pictures too Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics