Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

NATASHIA
Curious July 2021 Ontario

Is a parent only ceremony worth decorating for?

NATASHIA, on June 19, 2019 at 15:06 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 10

Hi all, it's me again. My FH and I have taken another step to almost planning our wedding! We have agreed that we are going to have a parent only wedding ceremony out in the city we live. (We live approximately 20.5 hrs from our family and friends...well except his dad.) This being said, I'm having a hard time planning anything. We have quite some time before our wedding but I want to at least get ideas or a theme. I think I am having a hard time getting excited or doing any planning because it's just parents. I am having trouble accepting a proper wedding dress or anything else wedding related. We have struggled with money for quite awhile and are finally slowly getting back on our feet from plenty of medical and other set backs. My mom has offered to take care of my dress which is AMAZING of her, but I still feel (maybe) unworthy of anything.

I know I could tell my FH that I want something bigger but truth is, I don't. I do want just the small ceremony. Ideally, it would have been just him and I eloping but both of my biological parents have said "I just want to see you get married" and I don't have the heart to exclude them. I've worked real hard to build a relationship with both of them after years of being distant.

Edit: parents only equalling to seven people not counting myself or partner.

10 Comments

Latest activity by Taylor, on July 6, 2019 at 23:44
  • Taylor
    Devoted October 2021 Alberta
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Its ok to keep it small. and no where does it say you have to buy a 5000$ dress. wear just a nice white dress from walmart and get some little decorations from the dollarstore

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think if you want decorations, you should do that! Don't decorate because you think your parents want you to.

Also with the dress, 1861.ca has really nice dresses for around $300 and they still look like wedding dresses so if you want a dress, but don't want to break the bank, I'd look into places online.

• Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    When my cousin got married only her & his immediate family were invited. From the pictures i saw she had a blue dress and a bouquet. They had dinner at a restaurant with no decorations and in the pictures everyone who matters knew it was a wedding and you'll have those memories decorations or not.
  • Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Are you doing a bigger reception afterwards?
    And the important question: Do you even want decor?

Decor can make it feel a bit more special (like more of an event) if that makes sense. And if that's something you want, then I say go for it, but make sure whatever you do can be re purposed for the reception, or whatever your plans are after.

But if this is a detail that is not important to you, and something you don't want to spend money on, then don't worry worry about it. Don't decorate for the parents. Decorate for yourselves. Its your day!

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Not worth the cost of going this route. Simple is the easiest and best to have family dinner and that's it. Decoration is more if you were to have a reception of 50 people or more and a theme with colours that would be of your choice.

Eloping is what you would decide to do, it would save on all the tougher decisions and money to put towards big purchases. Follow your heart and do what you feel is important to you both. Compromise within yourselves and be happy.

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would do some decoration, but nothing huge. You still want to make that moment feel special, regardless of how many people are there.
    Or look for a place that is naturally beautiful (park, by the water, in a garden), that would give you a natural back drop and save some money on decorating!
  • NATASHIA
    NATASHIA ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I like the way you're thinking. Thank you! I appreciate your ideas.

• Brittany
    Devoted August 2019 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I still think it's worth decorating for your sake and theirs. It does not have to be over the top, but you still want it to feel special. Also it makes for some beautiful photos. I would keep it simple, but still have some nice touches.

If you are already in a beautiful backdrop.. something simple like a decorated arch. Or Some flowers in baskets. Petals to line your aisle... etc. I wouldn't do too much to take away from the natural beauty. Just some cute colorful touches to enhance.

• NATASHIA
    NATASHIA ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We are planning to have our "big" reception for back home so we can have our friends and extended family there. We are talking about just doing either a dinner or bon fire after the ceremony with the parents. Depending on how well they're getting along. As for the location of the ceremony we are thinking some public land with a justice of a peace as we are surrounded by lakes and waterfalls.

Thanks for you input!

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Could you host a reception at your home? That might be easiest and most cost effective.

Alternatively, are there any small community centres or legions around you?

I definitely think you could still decorate! You could have balloons, streamers, themed plates if you wanted.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics