Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Newbie October 2019 Ontario

Is a dj Necessary ?

Jessica, on December 19, 2018 at 14:12 Posted in Wedding reception 0 9

Hi =)

We have hired a live musician to sing for our ceremony cocktail hour and part of the reception, Just seeking advice or opinions if I should hire a DJ for when they finish or just use a plug in playlist? it seemed like such a high cost for such a short amount of time considering the live people will finish up around 9 . Can you hire a DJ for such a short time ?

9 Comments

Latest activity by Bianca, on January 8, 2019 at 05:25
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I really think a DJ helps keep things moving and allows you and your guests to enjoy yourselves without having to worry about an iPod that's plugged in.

• Monica
    Devoted June 2019 Ontario
    Monica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Initially FH and I wanted to do our own playlist to save on costs because DJs can be quite pricey. However, we’ve found an emcee and DJ package, so now there’s one less thing to worry about. Our emcee and DJ work together as a team, so I’m excited for the flawless entertainment, and sound for the night. We won’t have to worry about awkward lulls in the music or our guests not enjoying the playlist we’ve put together! It’s just one less thing to worry about so yes, DJ for sure!
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you want your guests partying and dancing, I think a DJ should be a priority. Yes, you can make a playlist but DJs know how to transition between different song types really well. Also if the equipment fails, someone would have to deal with it whereas the DJ would have it figured out.

• Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

A DJ definitely isn't a necessity, you can play your own music. It was very important for us to get a DJ as I just love the atmosphere they create!

• Tyanna
    Super June 2019 British Columbia
    Tyanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our band will have one member hanging around at the end as he is also a DJ. It will be all his sound equipment all night and it's all included in our total price. Is this maybe an option for you through your band?
  • E
    Expert December 2018 Ontario
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We originally considered doing our own music. Now I’m pro DJ. Remember it’s not as simple as making a playlist and hitting play. You also need to make sure you have speakers and that everything connects properly to the computer or tablet or whatever you are using. And you have to take the time to set this all up. And then pack it up at the end of the night. And if you have a large space you can’t just get some small Bluetooth speakers. If won’t work well.

If dancing and having a good party is important to you I would go DJ.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would say that it depends on how big your wedding guest list is and how many of those people will want music that they can really dance to. If you are having an intimate wedding of like 75 people then I would say that a playlist from like Spotify or something would work fine as long as you have the premium version that won't have adds. If it's a bigger wedding then I would think that a DJ might be worth it. Less for you/your wedding party to worry about.

Most DJ's that I have spoken to have a standard package that starts with 5 hours of play so that may work out in your favour seeing as how you have at least a 4 hour window you need filled (play till 1AM) but if they want your business - which I'm sure they do - then I think you should be able to find somebody who can at very minimum throw in something extra light effects.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with Jennifer! I am pro DJ! Better to have someone there who's only concern is the soundtrack! I have heard of people just plugging a laptop or something into speakers and being fine with the music! But on your wedding day I just think of... what if there's a problem? What if the laptop dies? What if music stops for some reason and you have 1 or multiple people trying to fix it? What about song requests? What if a commercial plays on your playlist?

Pros and Cons to both for sure! But yeah for sure ask some companies if they offer a 4 hour service and see what they say!

• Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Talk to dj's in your area. they may be able to do a short/hourly rate that is better than a package deal.

I am PRO dj. a good dj keeps your party going, can hype up your crowd, cater to the crowd music wise. they even can work in conjunction with your live music.

playlists run the risk of having technical issues, having a lull/gap in between songs. and when i'm at a wedding, if that happens its the worst. kills your buzz.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics