Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Michelle
Curious October 2018 Ontario

Involving all parents in the ceremony..

Michelle, on January 4, 2018 at 08:59 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 8
Hi guys,

My parents have been divorced even before I can remember. I've made the decision that mom and dad will walk me down the isle (which has caused some drama but it's bearable). My question to you is.. my step father has been my #1 emotional support for the last 10 years and I want him to have a part in the wedding. It's important to be that he is involved. Any ideas on how I can go about this?

Thanks for the help!

PS: I cant have a father daughter dance with him since my dad is already hurt that my mom will be walking me down the isle with him...

8 Comments

Latest activity by Michelle, on January 26, 2018 at 14:00
  • Michelle
    Curious October 2018 Ontario
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's a good idea! Thank you!

• Vanessa
    Expert August 2018 Manitoba
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Some really good suggestions on here.
  • Kristine
    Frequent user October 2017 Ontario
    Kristine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You could have him do a special reading during the ceremony or maybe a toast at dinner?

But you really shouldn’t let your dad guilt you into feeling bad that your mom is also walking you down the aisle.
  • Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Im having both my parents walk me down the aisle as well... Luckily my parents still have a great relationship even though my mom is remarried.

Im skipping father-daughter dance. We are including my stepdad as our MC which i think he is excited for.
  • Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'd say father daughter dance with him, you father should just be happy you're happy and that you have people that love you so he should understand plus you can do half the dance with him anyway. If you do decide against him then you can have him waiting at the end of the aisle and you can give him and hug or whatever before you meet with the groom at the front. Hope this helps, I'm also having family drama so I understand
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think that you should include in your step-dad in any way you want. If you want to do a father/daughter dance with him, then go for it! Your dad may feel hurt but your step-dad clearly means a lot to you and it's your day! Maybe you can make your step-dad the MC or your day of coordinator to make sure everything runs smoothly. I'm sure he'll be touched in any way you include him in your wedding. Don't be afraid to do something you feel is important just because someone might feel hurt or upset.

• Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you didn't have both of your parents walking you down the aisle, I would say he could walk your mom down...Maybe you could have him accompany another family member? A grandmother or maybe the ring bearer if you have one and he's young and needs a little guidance down the aisle? You could also have a special dance with him...maybe later on in the evening and not directly following your dads dance? Your dad may not love it, but if he helped raise you and you're close to your step-dad and you want to have a special moment with him on your wedding day then I think you should feel free to do just that. It's a day to celebrate the relationships in your life!

You could also have him act as usher/host greeting guests when they arrive since your parents will likely be with you before the ceremony. Or he could MC for you? My husbands parents are divorced so I know it can create some extra planning steps to accommodate. Good luck!

• Sarah
    Curious November 2018 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Could you do a father daughter dance and do half the song with each dad? If you look on youtube there are a few people who have done it

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics