Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Chere-Lee
Frequent user October 2020 Ontario

Incorporating Children into the Ceremony

Chere-Lee, on July 3, 2019 at 15:24 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 26

I have 4 daughters from my first marriage. My fiance and I were brainstorming ways of incorporating my daughters into the ceremony - aside from being part of the wedding party (as they already are).

I have heard of a sand ceremony (each of the bride and groom and the children all have a different colour of sand and part of the ceremony is to mix the colours together in a glass vase or fancy container to show the unity of all becoming a family).

I have also seen the addition of rings for each child given by the groom and/or the bride.

What other forms ceremony inclusions have you seen to include children of a previous marriage into the new marriage?

26 Comments

Latest activity by Taylor, on July 11, 2019 at 17:09
  • Taylor
    Devoted October 2021 Alberta
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That is a beautiful idea. My dad wasnt really around either. He disappeared out of my life when I was 3 or 4. I still remember that day very well. My step dad was his best friend in high school and my moms friend as well. When my dad refused to do anything to take care of us my step dad stepped in. My mom says every winter he would come hang blankets in the windows to block out more cold and bring us food. They got married when I was 8 but didnt have a ceremony. My stepdad never forced me to call him dad or do anything that I didnt want to. I took his last name when they married but changed it back when I found out my legal name wasnt that just to save time. I have since realised how he wasnt sure I saw him as my dad but I did so I got him a keychain for christmas that said "Thanks for being the dad you didnt have to be" as well as I spent time writeing him a letter in the card I got him when he remarried and his birthday card. I have since asked him and his new wife to give me away because in the short time I have known her his new wife has been more of a mother then my mom ever was capable of being (my mom admits this). I plan on buying both of them forms for legal adult adoption because my stepmom said she would adopt me and I know my stepdad tried in the past but my dad refused to sign over custody.

• Chere-Lee
    Chere-Lee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I believe this is the top option on our list! Smiley smile

• Chere-Lee
    Chere-Lee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you Taylor! 2 of my daughters are grown - 1 lives outside of the house with her boyfriend. Yet my FH has been there for them since I introduced them to him, more so than my ex-husband. And although my monster-in-law has not made any attempt to even meet them all (she has met my two youngest only), he has taken such a huge role in their lives, it only makes sense to not only have them in our wedding party, but to also have them included in the ceremony itself. He loves them as his own! I appreciate your suggestions very much! I believe we are leaning towards a sand ceremony with different colours coming together as one family, as well as he is purchasing them a very personal necklace vowing to not only be there for their mother but to also be there for them as well - in any capacity they require. Smiley smile

• M
    Beginner July 2021 New Brunswick
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing the sand ceremony, everyone with a different colour
  • Taylor
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That is so sweet Im actually getting a bit misty eyed!

• Taylor
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

When my sister got married she had kind of a vow for her son. I dont remember fully how they did it but basically they had it written in after the whole "i dos" if M would take K to be his son. it was actually very sweet and when they did the kiss they held him and then each kissed a cheek. when it comes to daughters instead of rings get custom bracelets or necklaces that they can wear as long as they want to wear them. my sister also did do the sand ceremony but there is man others you can do depending on the ages. theres the unity candle and tree planting (which is what im doing instead of rings). I think its very sweet that you want them to have a bigger part in the wedding. what is more important isnt what you say or do because they are your daughters. its more impactful to focus on the relationship between him and the girls

• Chere-Lee
    Chere-Lee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Absolutely! And my wedding is already very untraditional - so it fits right in!

• Chere-Lee
    Chere-Lee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you Phil! Both are great ideas! We will add those to the options!

• Chere-Lee
    Chere-Lee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's very beautiful Casey! Thank you for sharing that! Memorable is exactly what we were looking for!

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Phil

That's a good idea and to corporate family in a wedding untraditional.

• Phil
    Ontario
    Phil ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey Chere-Lee, I have often introduced a new family at the end of the ceremony and had them walk up the aisle together as a newly formed unit... aka... " The Smith Family". The other option that I have done is to have them as a part of the presentation at the start of the ceremony... include them in a unique manner so that they feel like it's about their lives blending into yours as well.

Phil

• Casey
    Curious September 2019 Alberta
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    When my mom and step-dad got married, my step-dad said vows to me about promising to be the best dad he could and gave me a little ring as well. My ring had a white gold piece like my mum's ring and a gold piece wrapped around the diamond like my step-dad's ring. I still have the ring and I'm getting it re-sized! I was also a flower girl at the wedding.
  • Chere-Lee
    Chere-Lee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We love the idea of a ring or bracelet for each! We thought it would be so much more meaningful having it presented coming from their new Step-Father. Etsy has many ideas! The one I love the most is a necklace that is boxed with a phrase that says "Today I tell your Mom I do and I promise you forever too". And the necklace has a more personalized message "Marriage made you family, love made you my daughter, with love" and the name of the step-dad and the date of the wedding. I thought this would be a sweet gift presented before the wedding so they can wear them during the ceremony. I love the ring or necklace idea a lot!

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For the girls, a ring or bracelet for each of them is nice since they can have something personalized to be presented to them or put on their wrist/finger from you both. It would mean more to them than anything.

• Chere-Lee
    Chere-Lee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's a beautiful idea! So memorable and sentimental! Wonderful idea!
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’ve seen the sand ceremony and unity candle. My step mom had each of the kids (2 of hers, 3 of my dads) carry a small bouquet, maybe 3-4 flowers with a charm. Then once we all got to the front my sister and step sister put all the flowers together to make my step moms big bouquet. She then has a charm from each of us that she wears on her bracelet.
  • Chere-Lee
    Chere-Lee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

There are many different options on Etsy!

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh for sure! its such a great keep sake too! I love the second one but there is a variety of different designs

• Chere-Lee
    Chere-Lee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh that's a beautiful and creative idea as well! And probably very cost efficient as well. It could be dried and framed! Great idea!

• Chere-Lee
    Chere-Lee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you! This is even nicer than I had imagined! I'm sure there must be someone who does something like this on Etsy!

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The one that I have seen on Pinterest that I would do if either of us had kids would be the Paint Ceremony Smiley smile

Painting ceremonyIncorporating Children into the Ceremony 1

Obviously just use less paint and more colours Smiley tongue

• Becky
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Here are some idea's to see what mean- I am not sure the costs but if you know anyone who does wood work I would ask them.Family PuzzleIncorporating Children into the Ceremony 2Family Puzzle 2Incorporating Children into the Ceremony 3

• Chere-Lee
    Chere-Lee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I have not heard about puzzle pieces as a way of connecting the family! I love that idea!

• Becky
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My friend did a puzzle- every puzzle piece had their names on each piece and they all came up to connect them

• Chere-Lee
    Chere-Lee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That is also a very memorable and beautiful option! Thank you!

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My parents lit a unity candle I think when they got married and my sister and I were in the wedding party.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics