Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Frequent user November 2017 Ontario

In tears and need advice

Chris, on September 21, 2017 at 19:24 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 7

For the past 9 months every single weekend my 2 men and 2 women bridal party "are busy"and could not make time for ANYTHING. When I mean anything I mean anything, shop for the dresses, shoes, assist with decor DIY anything. They could not even help with the shower or bachelorette so my other friends have decided to take it on so I feel like a bride on my first and last wedding.

My wedding is less than 2 months.....I got a text message stating the men do not want to wear pants as they will be "boiling" they do not want to wear a tie they do not want to wear long sleeve shirt or French cuff. Even though they know we bought cufflinks for the men and we bought the ties for them.

So I responded what would you prefer or MY wedding?

"We want to wear sandals and a t-shirt and shorts."

The groom bought a custom made 3 piece suit and I bought the ring bearer the same outfit.

I have yet to respond as I am about to have a meltdown.

They are and have been too busy to help plan anything, attend anything bachelorette, bridal party, shower assist me in anything at all.

I do not want to lose my marbles and say something I regret but seriously?

any suggestions would be appreciated.

7 Comments

Latest activity by Lyla, on January 18, 2018 at 22:06
  • Lyla
    Devoted July 2018 Alberta
    Lyla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Wow! I would lose my ever loving mind!! You poor soul. I would honestly tell them they’re dropped out of the bridal party. This is YOUR day. They can survive a little heat.. especially for your pictures. I just can’t get over how entitled they’re being. I wish you luck him! I say drop them. You are supposed to surround yourself with people who genuinely care and take the stress off, not the opposite.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I honestly say truly and id someone did that to me, since you are busy with your things, please come as a guest and you are relieved from your position. In all fairness, you dont need your wedding party refusing whats needs done and when its to be done. Keep it simple to yoy and your husband at the alter.

Don't melt down or cry, they have no respect for you in any manner and its tougher over time. You are strong and have managed well. Keep it going and return the cufflinks and suits if you need to.

Hope you feel better and if your wedding party is still with you, great. If not, they are free to wear anything and less stress.
  • Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree on with Joey's advice! It's your day! Stand strong. If they don't like it then they can step down. That simple. To me these friends that have helped you when your bridal party wouldnt are the ones that should be standing beside you!
  • Joey
    WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm so sorry, don't cry. I would tell them that if they want to stand up with you at the ceremony they need to wear the outfit you chose, or they can attend as guests. I don't mean that to sound harsh, but wearing the chosen outfit and participating in the ceremony is really the one and only task of the wedding party. If you like, you can let them know that they can change during the reception after the ceremony and pictures are done. While it is reasonable that they had their own plans and may not have been available for some of the pre-wedding things you would have liked to do with them, wearing t-shirts to participate in your wedding is not at all a reasonable ask for them to make. Is it possible there is a financial concern causing them to make this request? Or is it really that they just don't feel like wearing ties?

I hope you and your future husband stand strong, stay calm, and get their support. Smiley heart

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would simply tell them that it is a formal event and they have to dress accordingly. You can tell them that everyone else will also be dressed up and just as uncomfortable.

• C
    Frequent user November 2017 Ontario
    Chris ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yeah I am in disbelieve. Ironically my weekends are spent in hair in a pony tail, running shoes and lululemon and no make up. However if I was standing in a wedding I would not ask if I could wear sneakers and tank top as I would be more comfortable.

My fiancé who is opposite to me always calm, nothing ever bothers him, even keel happy go lucky always zen I showed him the text as he quite honestly thought I was making it up.

He is very casual open, does not wear brand name anything he said "you are joking" I said I wish I was he said I don't believe it let me see the message.

Then without saying it verbatim he said you grew up in the country in the middle of nowhere if we wanted a low key casual wedding in your parents back yard on a farm we would be in shorts, shirt and sandals. I am wearing a 3 piece very expensive (which is unlike him but he is the groom and splurging on a custom suit) and dress shoes. If they wore flip flops and shorts that would look very odd. This is a formal wedding they should know this it has been communicated to them since day one. Why are they so negative and try to pull you down. Even the wedding guests will not be wearing shorts. They are professional men if they would not wear it to work on a Tuesday why would they wear this to our wedding? Which he has a good point.

How would you respond to someone saying we do not want to wear pants, tie, cufflinks or shoes. It will be 25C we want to to wear sandals and shorts in the wedding party. I am actually at a loss for words.

• Kacy
    VIP February 2019 Quebec
    Kacy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    OMG, how awful!!!!!! I'm so so sorry that you are going through this!!! You poor thing! Honestly, it sounds like they're being pretty crappy... What does your fiancé think about all of this? Smiley sad
    You know these people best, and it seems like they're really letting you down. Do you find that this is new behaviour or have they always been this unreliable?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics