Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Joey
WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland

If you had to get married on a holiday, which would you choose?

Joey, on November 1, 2018 at 08:05 Posted in WeddingWire 0 25

If you had to get married on a holiday, which one would you choose, and why?

Would you choose one that gave you great decor options? Would you choose a long holiday weekend so you and your guests could stretch out the celebration? If you are already planning a holiday wedding, tell us all about it!

Would you spread a little Valentine's love?If you had to get married on a holiday, which would you choose? 1

Photo by Janice Wiebe Photography in Steinbach

Have you fallen for fall with a Halloween or Thanksgiving wedding?If you had to get married on a holiday, which would you choose? 2Photo from Andrew and Leanne's wedding in Vancouver

Are these ornaments inspiring you?If you had to get married on a holiday, which would you choose? 3

Photo by A Personal Touch in Vaughan

25 Comments

Latest activity by Bianca, on November 29, 2018 at 01:20
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If I had to, New Years Eve. It would be so much fun and exciting!

• Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Christmas for sure!! I am obsessed with all things Christmas

• Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My first thought was Thanksgiving. It's a very selfless, family-oriented holiday, and all about gratitude of course.

• Donna
    Devoted July 2019 Ontario
    Donna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

One word " Christmas" It's my favor Season it's always been my dream

cakesIf you had to get married on a holiday, which would you choose? 4

set upIf you had to get married on a holiday, which would you choose? 5

FlowersIf you had to get married on a holiday, which would you choose? 6

Sled rideIf you had to get married on a holiday, which would you choose? 7

• Jenn
    Frequent user March 2019 Ontario
    Jenn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Christmas!! Hands down Smiley smile It would be sooooo beautiful Smiley heart

• E
    Expert December 2018 Ontario
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are kind of getting married on a holiday. Ok not exactly but close. We are getting married in the Saturday that falls between Christmas and New Years. We will have Christmas trees decorating both the ceremony and reception areas. And I’m making sure to have lots of sparkle!

We picked this time of year because it’s the one time of year we know everyone from our families will be back in town.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Halloween for its price discount and to dress up and have masks as props to look classy.

Theme could be Masquerade from Phantom of the Opera. It would be fun.
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would looooove to do Christmas Eve! It's our actual dating anniversary and it would have been amazing to marry my FH on the same day!
  • Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Nope none. sorry.

my bday is on a sort of holiday (valentines day). and it sucks to share! so I wouldn't want to share my anniversary with a holiday or anything.

• Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re getting married on my grandmother’s birthday, which in 2019 happens to fall during Easter weekend, which is an added bonus. It’s the only holiday we’d likely consider.

When we discussed wedding dates we both wanted to avoid the summer months, and there are too many sad days in the fall (my FH’s parents are no longer alive and their anniversary and birthdays are in the fall). Jan-March are too cold, so we decided on April and my gran’s birthday - which I’ve always considered to be a high holy day.

It’s also a cross country destination wedding, so we figure guests will be able to travel bc they’ll have the time off or they’ll decline bc it’s a holiday weeekend. We’re hoping for a low final guest count so it’s win-win either way.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Either Halloween or NYE! NYE because it's already a party atmosphere and halloween because Costumes!! Both are our top 2 holidays!!

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I ADORE Christmas (I celebrate it for a full 2 months minimum every year)... but I'd never share it with my wedding.

MAYBE I'd do NYE so it can have some Christmas spill over, and it's a great excuse for a big party (any celebrating your anniversary each year)...

However I'm big into your wedding day/anniversary standing on it's own, so no matter which holiday I like, I'd never be able to do it.

Thanksgiving would be great for the decor, but you can use Fall decor at any time in Sept-Nov...

• Monica
    Devoted June 2019 Ontario
    Monica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Definitely Christmas or NYE! Love the sparkle and the colours of the winter holidays Smiley smile
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Definitely Halloween! Halloween is my absolute favourite!
  • Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If I absolutely had to, I’d opt for Halloween as it’s my fiancé and I’s favourite holiday. It also happens to be during the same season our wedding will be anyway.
  • Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Christmas or NYE I love this season and it’d be so much fun to have a wedding at that time of year.
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm not a huge fan of weddings on holidays, to be honest. If I had unlimited budget and had to pick a holiday, I'd go with NYE.

I'm picturing a modern/industrial spin of the roaring 20's/Great Gatsby look. Champagne towers, gold accents, black tie attire. I'd go all out haha.

• Michelle
    Expert April 2019 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Christmas or Halloween for sure. Both would be so fun in different ways!

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If I could choose any holiday, without my FH's opinion, and not have any backlash about it being on a holiday - I would choose Christmas. It's my favourite holiday. Fresh snow is so beautiful and I love the red and silver look Smiley xd

If it was still that holiday and I would get the backlash - I would go for one of the more low-key holidays (for my family) like Thanksgiving. We don't exactly celebrate it much so it wouldn't bother many people to give up their Saturday when they have the Monday off.

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Christmas! I love everything about Christmas and would have a million options for decor and colours.
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think if I had to choose I would pick Thanksgiving. I love the colours, and would make it all fall decorations.

I was also considering doing a New Years Eve wedding because then all the family is together bringing in the new year!

• Rekramer
    Expert November 2018 Ontario
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'd do it on halloween. No pumpkins, everything in black, glitter red, irridescent white, somewhat vampiric. Costumes mandatory. Even without this, I spent a long time eyeing a black and grey dress for my wedding before committing to my existing dress.

• A
    Devoted October 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh I'm having a hard time narrowing down the decor. We dont want pumpkins but wow there's still so much we can do.
  • Joey
    WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I bet your family appreciates that more of them will get the chance to attend! Is all this fall weather right now giving you lots of decor inspiration?

• A
    Devoted October 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are getting married on Thanksgiving weekend 2019 that way more out of province family (all of mt FH's side) have a chance to come. Plus I love the colours of autumn.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics