Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Pat
Newbie September 2022 Quebec

I Do BBQ Wedding Reception & DJ

Pat, on June 26, 2019 at 15:06 Posted in Wedding reception 0 7
Hello !
We are having a backyard wedding and are looking to cut down on costs as much as possible. I was wondering if any of you are skipping the DJ and will be putting on a playlist you built instead ? Or if you've done it, how did it go ? Was it worth it ?
Thank you Smiley smile

7 Comments

Latest activity by Pat, on July 2, 2019 at 08:46
  • Pat
    Newbie September 2022 Quebec
    Pat ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thank you all for your feedback! Decided to hire a DJ after all. The less stress I can have the day of the better Smiley smile
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're not having a backyard wedding but I've attended one at the cottage and they had no DJ/musician. I'll be honest, it was a little disorganized and messy having everyone just pick what songs they wanted to listen to. If you do go with an iPod or Spotify, have someone exclusively in charge of it.

• Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yes! We got Spotify premium (so no ads- we had a free trial before the wedding and then it’s like $10/month) and made our own playlist(s) for that day. It worked so well and was saved us a lot of money. We also had 3 different people come up to us that night and say the music was great and can they get a copy of our playlist.

We actually spent a long time going over the playlist after we had picked the songs we wanted included and put them in the order we wanted- that way you don’t end up with to many slow songs bunched together or some of our less child friendly music played early in the night etc.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

BBQ reception sounds good and the playlist put together does save more money if DJ isn't worth the cost.

Knowing someone that is a DJ within your friends can help out a lot.

• Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My friends did this for their wedding. They had a laptop hooked up to the sound system and created a few playlists (the first one had a bunch of songs to please the older crowds, and the later playlists were geared more towards the couple's friends.

There were a couple people that were bummed they couldn't request a song, but too bad. It was a fun party and everybody was dancing.

You know what your friends will like to dance to anyways. As long as you have lots of time to build your playlists, then I say go for it.

• Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi, Welcome to the Wedding Wire Community and Congratulations on your engagement! I myself am planning on skipping the DJ and doing a playlist. I started with figuring out just how many hours of music I would need and then determined about many songs would be played in 1 hour and then multiplied that # by the # of hours. So far I have a spreadsheet with just bands and songs that I think I might want to add to the final playlist. That's all I got for now!!

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have went to a few weddings where they did this- If you make playlist on shuffle and variety of music it can still go well. Just make sure you have a ton of music and verity. For the important songs, just have a second playlist labeled important wedding songs and have someone play them when needed.

It honestly depends how long you want to spend downloading music and paying for it or getting it that way vs having dj feel a crowd out and managing it all.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics