Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Savannah
Frequent user April 2020 Ontario

i Do and Re-do

Savannah, on April 21, 2020 at 17:25 Posted in WeddingWire 0 9
My fiancé and I were supposed to get married May 23rd, unfortunately due to the current COVID pandemic we decided to postpone to August. We recently were able to find a municipality still issuing marriage licenses and decided that since August is still a ways a way and although we’re keeping optimistic for still celebrating in August, the uncertainty of if restrictions would be eased enough to continue is also in the back of our minds and didn’t want to risk not getting a license either since it took us FOREVERRRR to find one! That being said we obtained our license for this weekend as we decided that even dating it for May may be a risk as current restrictions limit gatherings to 5, and everything being so up in the air we don’t want to risk a potential further restrictions. We are wanting to share our special news with family on social media to add some positivity to a not so positive situation, but want some ideas on how to go about it without recieving any backlash. I’d hope our friends and family would be understanding, but you never know! Any ideas/suggestions?

9 Comments

Latest activity by Beatriz, on May 5, 2020 at 14:25
  • Beatriz
    Frequent user September 2020 Ontario
    Beatriz ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Crossing fingers & toes! ahaha

• Savannah
    Savannah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s what we figured! A bit of a more recent update - we decided to reach out to immediate family who we felt may be upset not knowing about this weekend and asked them to join us virtually so they could atleast witness the legitimate wedding and then reiterated that we are still planning for a celebration at our later date given we are given the go ahead! 😊
  • Kelly
    Beginner September 2021 British Columbia
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I feel like that’s totally understandable!! It’s the responsible thing to be mindful of everyone’s health, and it’s really hard to predict when everything will resolve with COVID.
  • Savannah
    Savannah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Fingers crossed we both get to have our special days! 🤞🏼
  • E
    Newbie September 2021 Ontario
    Elena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We also postponed from May 9 to November. Fingers crossed things improve!!!
  • Savannah
    Savannah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I hope so! 🤞🏼It’s good to know that others are doing the same thing and eloping and then still doing a ceremony and reception afterwards. To me it makes sense!
  • Beatriz
    Frequent user September 2020 Ontario
    Beatriz ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I really like what Amelia said. I think that people would be very understanding given the circumstances. We are on the same boat! We were supposed to get married May 9 and postponed for Nov. I will say we have had quite a few family members encouraging us to still get married, which has made the decision to “elope” a little easier whenever that may happen. We are hoping that if we cannot go ahead with the ceremony in November, we at least will be able to get all of our parents there.
    At the end of the day, they way I see it is that even if people were upset, this is your marriage. This is between you and your FH and those who love you should be wishing you nothing but love and a happy marriage ❤️
  • Savannah
    Savannah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I’m hoping everyone is understanding! I really like your idea of sharing a photo and announcing it but still reintegrating that we cannot wait to celebrate with everyone at our later date!
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I feel like a lot of people will be more understanding right now than ever before. People are a little anxious about attending gatherings so some will be relieved, and others will just be happy for you! If you do get to have guests focus on who you would be sad not to have there, more than those who would be sad to miss it. And definitely don't feel like people get to bring a guest, if you want your aunt there let her know there isn't room for your uncle etc.

You can make the announcement with "we just couldn't wait until next year to get married and we hope we can celebrate with everyone later" kind of vibe. You can also share it with a photo after the fact with a "guess what we just did!!" surprise.
    Our plan lately is to elope on our date and have an anniversary reception with friends and family in 2021. We haven't told family yet because we don't want to upset them ahead of time if we don't need to.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics