Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Chantelle
Curious May 2022 British Columbia

Hyphenating your last name

Chantelle, on June 21, 2022 at 15:33 Posted in Just married 0 6

Hello all,

I am changing my ID this week to reflect my new last name. I am wanting to hyphenate (or add) my name from my maiden name - husbands last name.... but I have some questions.

1. When signing documents do you have two always use both or can you use either or?

2. Do you have to add the hyphen or just the new last name?

6 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on July 4, 2022 at 14:28
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Your new cards will need to be changed to the new surname wanted. Marriage certificate is needed as proof. Its best to ask if connecting both names need the line o between or one space empty.
  • Chantelle
    Curious May 2022 British Columbia
    Chantelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah, I am in BC, I was told that same information too but then when I called ICBC they said they allow hyphenated names now.
  • Hailey
    Expert June 2022 British Columbia
    Hailey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Depending where you are i think the process is different.
    I pretty sure in Canada/BC is where i live if you want to hyphenate your name to add both its a legal name change as you are creating a new name... it's not as simple as taking your marriage liscence to get updated ID.. (atleast qhat uve researched) watched my husband go through the legal name change and it's just easier for me to take his and not go through that process

my co worker was going to hyphenate until she realized the process same with me so I've just kept my maiden name on FB etc but legally it'll change to my husband's name.
    You'll also have to sign both names...

• C
    Super December 2020 Ontario
    Carmel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I only hyphenated on my driver's license and my health card, so I completely forgot that I have a hyphenated last name lol. Really just in medical situations or when I have to use my ID do I have to remember. My work and banking information is still just my maiden name. When I go to redo my passport I may have to change more. I'm avoiding it right now though. You do need to have a hyphen otherwise you're just giving yourself a new middle name I believe. If you are in Ontario I know service Ontario helps you with that when you go do it.
  • KELLY
    Super October 2023 Ontario
    KELLY ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am not sure but I am glad you posted the question, at our age I am definitely considering hyphenating also

• C
    VIP September 2023 Ontario
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

When signing legal documents you have to sign with both names if you plan to Hyphen your name.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics