Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Anna & Vitor
Newbie June 2021 British Columbia

Hyphenating Last Names: What To Do When There Are 3 Surnames...!

Anna & Vitor, on October 19, 2020 at 22:04 Posted in Just married 0 3

Hello brides past and present,
How did you decide on whether to keep, change, or hyphenate your last name(s)? We're getting married next summer, and I'm trying to decide what to do about my surname — whether to take his or to hyphenate ours.

The challenge is that my fiancé is Brazilian, which means he has two last names. In a perfect world, I'd love to be Ms. Blackledge-Farinha Luz, though it's perhaps impractical in reality. Following Portuguese convention, I'd be Blackledge Luz, though North American convention would have me as Blackledge-Farinha Luz (or simply keeping mine, or taking his). The challenge is that if we have kids, we'd (both) like to have the same last name as them.

I'm curious to hear (er, read) from other brides dealing with more than 2 last names, what have you done? Is there a perfect compromise for folks with multiple last names? Many thanks in advance!

3 Comments

Latest activity by Amanda, on November 16, 2020 at 13:18
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda Online ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think every couple is different. It all depends on what you're comfortable with. Whatever you decide, in the end it's all up to you!

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Every couple is different in how they choose to take the names of their spouses. It all depends on what is comfortable to fit your choice for the best. You can go with his surname only to make it simple. Your surname is important to keep, hyphenate it if you choose to do so.

My husband chose to take my surname by his choice.

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My friend inherited both of his parents last names non hyphenated but when he got married, his wife replaced his mom's last name with hers and combined it with his father's last name. And if they have children, they're taking the same last name pattern as the wife.
    So to use your example, he stayed as Vitor Farinha Luz while she became Anna Blackledge Luz. Any babies become Baby Blackledge Luz.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics