Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Newbie December 2021 Alberta

Hyphenated last name? Also considering changing longwinded maiden name to something else. Thoughts???

Hmmmmjustathought, on April 25, 2020 at 22:34 Posted in WeddingWire 0 14
Any thoughts on changing my last name to a hyphenated name?
Wonderring about a hyphenated last name for me.

Darling - ______ or _______ - Darling for myself .
Do you think a hyphenated name would make people think married woman?
If no , why not? And if yes, what % of people would you guesstimate would think that?

Any ideas for a last name that would go well with Darling might change mine so it's not a complicated sounding double barrel name.
King - Darling? Whitley - Darling ? Honey - Darling? The last one makes me smile I have a sense of humour so I don't mind if people get a laugh or a chuckle out of it. And I work in a field that would allow for a more whimsical name. (So not a lawyer or police officer). Would appreciate any advice. Thanks

14 Comments

Latest activity by Hmmmmjustathought, on June 3, 2020 at 13:13
  • H
    Hmmmmjustathought ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Keep making "dad" jokes. I am friends with a professional comedian who always tells "kids' jokes" to random people when not on stage performing (cause they're clean and mostly politically correct). Even the same joke told to different people. She says even a groaner is good. People don't laugh enough so keep on telling jokes.

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

So I'm already making dad jokes and I'm not even married. All right! haha

• H
    Hmmmmjustathought ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Did you get the joke I sent you? Not just literally but in your email? I might have posted it wrong....ooops.

• H
    Hmmmmjustathought ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hey Hank & bride-to-b...

My mother told me a very similar joke I thought you all would enjoy:

what do you call a woman between a Mr. & a mattress? A Mistress.

• H
    Hmmmmjustathought ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Ashley:

Just read your message to me with regards to having a hyphenated last name (unsubscribed for just over a month). Sorry to hear that you have had a lot of trouble with it. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to tell me about it. I do want both names & they are fairly short names how would you suggest I do it?

Jennifer Rosemary Wright Darling or just have one name as another middle name? Thanks for taking the time to respond.

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Forget hyphenated names. Amalgamation is where it's at! If you're Missus and he's Mister, both of you should change your names to Mistress Smiley tongue

Of course, I'm kidding. Or am I...?

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

As someone with a hyphened name i hate it. i cant wait to change and drop these names. i dont know what happened but on some legal document someone forgot the "-" and i now have 2 last names as my last name. its annoying cuz places i go and have to sign up for things i give one last name and then walmart pharmacy has both my last names squished together and i always forget when i call so every time i have to argue with the guy saying ive been there before. places dont believe me when i show my ID and it one thing but my sin number says another thing. my doc's office has my last name as the first name and they cant ever find me. lol its sooo frustrating . its too long to type out and write out in documents when filing things out. when i do the declarations when i travel places my names never fit in the squares.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

When I see hyphenated names I think 1 of 2 things. Either their parents hyphenated, or they got married and hyphenated. 50/50 to be honest.

For me, I just put my maiden name as a second middle name and took my DH's last name. So although I look like I went from Tori K****** to Tori Doll, I have K****** as my second middle name. 10/10 highly recommend Smiley tongue

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don't mind hyphenated names, my only concern is if you have a hyphenated child who married another hyphenated person how the heck does their name work? Do they become a Darling-King-Smith-Jones? It's a problem you don't have for a long time, but it still makes me wonder!

I'm still deciding on whether to keep my name. I love my name and I love his name but I feel like I can't hyphenate, my middle name is hyphenated and already a mile long so I want some simplicity! If I change it my family name dies out, and I'm not sure I'm ready for that.
    As far as the order of where to put your last name I would write it down a bunch both ways, say if out loud, and practice your signature to see what looks and feels most natural. If I were to hyphenate I'd be a Hatfield-Warren because the alphabetical order makes my brain happy, and it sounds better that way to me.
  • H
    Hmmmmjustathought ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I like the idea of a hyphenated last name.

• H
    Hmmmmjustathought ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks for your reply

• Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I grew up with two of my best friends that have hyphenated last names from their parents but neither parent used the hyphenated versions, and don't know any that did it out of marriage. So when I see hyphenated names I don't think marriage automatically. But that's my own personal experience. Do what you want and what you want to live with🙂

• H
    Hmmmmjustathought ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My thinking is that a hyphenated last name says: "married".

• A
    Newbie August 2021 Manitoba
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The only person I know with a hyphenated last name has that from her mom and dad having two last names, not from marriage - though a google search says it's not uncommon, so I guess go what you feel. It will be your last name, after all!

Personally I feel if someone was to keep their maiden name with a hyphenated last name it would be a bit sentimental, etc. I also think they make the last name a bit too long ahaha but just my opinion.

Just curious - if you are not wanting to keep your maiden name anyways, why not just take his last name as the only last name?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics