Skip to main content
Newbie June 2021 Ontario

How you change your last name online through service Canada website

Laura, on January 30, 2021 at 14:50 Posted in Just married 0 3
I was wondering how you change your last name online through service Canada website?
I tried following the steps on online but I wasn’t sure if I should change my last name on my drivers license /health card first before changing my name on my SIN card?

Also on the application form to apply for a SIN, it asks for your family name at birth and your current family name. So I’m not sure if Im supposed to change all my other documents (health card /drivers license) first and then use my new last name as my current last name and show my new documents when filling in the SIN card application?


Latest activity by Vinod, on January 31, 2021 at 11:54
  • Vinod
    Featured August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute

    The change online is to confirm your documents will be changed though your health card and drivers license will be updated separately. Your sin card will remain the same only thing the system does is change your name on it. The famiy surname and current is what your changing to your husbands. Photocopy the marriage license as they would need a proof of that for their records as it would be noted on the form.

    My husband went through all this himself to change his last name to mine and they did it as described as above. It did take time though it was done. Also consider your passport for the same process of proof to give the office when changing your last name.

    • Reply
  • L
    Newbie June 2021 Ontario
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    View quoted message
    Thank you for to her response,
    Yes I just want to assume my husbands last name. Ohh ok I didn’t know that. So I won’t change my name on my SIN card. I’ll just go to service Ontario and change my health card and drivers license.
    Thanks for your help! Smiley smile
    • Reply
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute

    Are you just assuming your spouse's name or do you want it changed legally (ie your birth certificate?) If it's just assuming your spouse's last name, you need to go to Service Ontario in person with your marriage certificate and they'll mail you the updated cards.

    You only need to change the SIN if you are legally changing your name.

    • Reply

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

ReCaptcha Verification failed. Please try again.

Related articles


WeddingWire Article Topics