Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Emilie
Newbie September 2022 Ontario

How to make a charitable donation as a wedding favour

Emilie, on August 21, 2022 at 15:39 Posted in Wedding reception 0 4
My fiancee and I are going to make a charitable donation on behalf of our guests for our wedding favours. We have our charities picked out and how much we want to donate, but we aren't sure how to do it. Has anyone done this before? Do you make a lump some donation to the charity before the wedding and if there is an option on how you'd like to be acknowledged, put down something about on behalf of our guests? We obviously can't list all our guests by name under one donation.

4 Comments

Latest activity by Jolene, on June 9, 2023 at 18:52
  • Jolene
    Newbie August 2024 Alberta
    Jolene ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it could be a cute moment if maybe the guest got to choose what charity it went to? Like set up a little booth and have each guest drop their name into a specific bowl or booth. For example some people might prefer their "favor" be anti malarial pills vs the local SPCA. Personally Im pretty picky where I donate and I wouldn't want donations to a charity i don't agree with?
  • Jenny
    Frequent user September 2022 Ontario
    Jenny ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I agree with Hank, I don’t think I would appreciate a favour like this as a guest
  • C
    VIP September 2023 Ontario
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You can put the lump some and write on behalf of the wedding guest of Mr. & Mrs. Depending on the amount you put, only the company will know who it's from. You can then advise your guest that this amount of money was donated to this charity instead of favors.

If it's a huge amount like a million dollars is when they will place a plaque in your honor.

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm of the opinion that your act of donating should be kept to yourself. For one thing, a wedding favour is meant to be a gift to your guests for attending the wedding. Your donation does nothing for your guests. Another is that wedding favours are becoming less traditional and it's perfectly normal to not give them out at a wedding, so no one would think twice about it. Announcing to your guests that you're donating to charity in lieu of you giving them favours can come off as you patting yourself on the back, or you asking for acknowledgement on being charitable.

I also would highly recommend against sending the charity the names or any contact information of your guests. Notwithstanding how people may feel about your chosen charity, you shouldn't be divulging other people's identity information to a third-party organization without their permission.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics