Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner July 2023 Ontario

How to handle an empty card wedding gift from a good friend?

Monica, on July 12, 2023 at 12:47 Posted in Just married 0 6

I got married over the weekend (yay!) and my husband and I just went through all of our wedding gifts. All of our gifts were cash/cheques in envelopes from our guests as we didn't have a registry and it is customary in our culture to give money as wedding gifts instead of physical gifts.

Me and my husband are good friends with another couple that attended our wedding and when we opened up their card, we were shocked to see that there was no money inside of it. I completely understand that there is no obligation for guests to provide gifts, but these are good friends of ours and it seems out of character for them to just give a card with nothing inside.

In fact, we attended this couple's wedding 8 months prior to ours and we gave them a generous monetary gift in the form of a cheque. The couple has since cashed the cheque and sent us a thank you card for the gift so there's no chance that this is some sort of retaliation for us not giving them a gift for their wedding. Further, when mutual friends of ours and the couple in question got married last year, this couple was not able to attend the wedding and the mutual friends told us that the couple still gave a monetary gift for the wedding even though they didn't attend. So you can see why I feel like this empty card is likely to be just an error or oversight.

My question is, do I approach this couple about the fact that there was no money in their card? Or should I just let it go? If I do say something, how do I say it politely?

6 Comments

Latest activity by Kate, on July 26, 2023 at 09:03
  • Kate
    Featured August 2022 Ontario
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Omgsh sooo ideal that it happened this way! lol

• M
    Beginner July 2023 Ontario
    Monica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

UPDATE-- a week after the wedding, the couple in question sent an e-transfer gift with a note saying that they ran out of checks and apologized for the delay! I didn't end up confronting them about this and it resolved on its own Smiley smile

• KELLY
    Super October 2023 Ontario
    KELLY ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I really like how Carine worded it- "...tell them the card was lovely" that wording should make them realize their error and action it accordingly

• Julie
    Featured May 2023 Ontario
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I completely know how you feel.
    Wr got married May 6 and we had one couple tell us at the end of the night, via text, that they forgot the envelope. My huaband was annoyed and drunk and told them, "no problem, come by work amd drop it off". They came by 2 days later.
    We also had another single guest come, eat, drink and never handed in a card. We didnt bother to reach out to the person. But my hubby was annoyed and we didnt send him a thank you card at all.Its a tuffy if they are close friends. But maybe you can nonchalantly say you may have misplaced a card or two and you think one might be theirs?? See if they say anything about it??Good luck with it. ❤️
  • C
    VIP September 2023 Ontario
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wouldn't say anything and just let it play out if it does? Just don't send a thank you card since there was no gift, and if they ask if you send out thank you cards you can say of course to everyone who bought a gift and go from there. Or send them a card thanking them for spending the day with you and the card was touching.

If you are close, you could always just be honest and say hey, did you forget the wedding gift?

It's a tough one.

Good luck and let us know how it worked out.

• Kate
    Featured August 2022 Ontario
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Eeee this is tough!

Naturally I thought of some like made up way to non discretely bring it to their attention by being like (it would have to be kind of relative to the conversation at the time) "Omgsh, as I was at so and so's wedding and I went to go put the card in the box it occurred to me that I forgot to leave the gift inside the card!!! so I ended up transferring money over after, total oversight cause I had so much going on at the time bla bla" and kind of gauge their reaction... or maybe not at a wedding cause I would do it soon-ish that way if she comes back and is like "omgshhhhh I so forgot to put money in your card" you can kind of make it seem like, you haven't even opened them yet so you didn't realize that way it's not obvious that you were trying to drop a hint.

I don't know, this might be bad advice but that would be the way I'd be most comfortable with going about it lol. Also if it was someone who I know purposely would not give a gift, then I would not say anything but I'm thinking if I was on the other end of it and genuinely forgot, I would want to know so hopefully your friend is like this as well. Good luck and curious to hear other advice on this kind of situation!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics