Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Mary
Curious October 2019 Ontario

How much did your honeymoon cost?

Mary, on January 27, 2019 at 23:44 Posted in Honeymoon 0 32

Hi there

I'm looking at honeymoon destinations but not sure where to start or what to budget for ! Do you have any suggestions? My wedding is in mid October so we didn't want Europe just because we wanted to explore there in the summer

32 Comments

Latest activity by Brittany, on February 4, 2019 at 17:05
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Just got back from our honeymoon cruise. 11-night Southern Caribbean with Royal Caribbean. We flew Vancouver to Fort Lauderdale, needed 2 nights hotel stay, we did an ocean view (not balcony, which is MUCH more expensive), and included gratuities, and the deluxe drink package (all inclusive booze). SO worth it.

Our trip: Cruise, Flights (used airmiles one way), Hotels, Excursions, Shopping, Drink Packages, etc... Totaled probably $6500... Without points and such would have been about $7500... But its 2 weeks, and we did EVERYTHING.

I am totally pushing cruises. This was my 12th, my husband's first, and he's hooked. You can do Mediterranean, Greek Isles, Scandinavian, etc... and see several countries in a certain area of Europe, with everything included and unpacking your bags only once. (I strongly suggest Mediterranean or Greek Isles for a honeymoon cruise, warmer/relaxing, and yet still very interesting with culture in the ports).

• Alycia
    Expert March 2020 Ontario
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That’s so helpful!! I’m always worried when booking any trips. I like hearing people say they had good experience booking themselves, I wanna work up the courage to do it myself. I feel I’ll save the most that way! I’ve heard about so many different companies, thanks for helping me narrow them down, they were in my top 10 so I’ll check them first!!

• Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Cruises are the best if you want some relaxing/pool type days. but you still want to explore.

I've cruised 6 or 7 times now. and i worked on a cruise ship for 2 years. i highly recommend royal Caribbean or Norwegian to cruise on. they are FANTASTIC companies.

i have booked all of my cruises myself.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That sucks he gets sick on them!!

• Meghan
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We were hoping to book one for about $5000-$7000...We ended up spending about $6,800 (not including spending money and such) We are going in May to Scotland for 8 days and then Iceland for 3. I wasn't sure what a trip like that would cost but we went to a travel agent, asked her if it was possible and she was able to keep it within what we wanted.

• Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ya we decided right from the start that we would rather spend our money on the honeymoon. We managed to keep our 150 guest wedding under $12,000 total. And we got almost exclusively cash for wedding gifts that we put directly towards our honeymoon. Worked really well as our wedding gift money paid for more than half of the trip! Would not have been able to make it happen otherwise.

Where are you thinking of going? Honestly small but nice honeymoons are awesome. Our favorite part of the whole 2 month trip was renting a cabin in the woods (in Italy!) and just hiking for a couple days.
  • Alycia
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I would consider this too. But I know what you mean, if you don’t have a particular destination in mind I would go with last minute. We’re still talking options as to what we wanna do exactly. We have a honeymoon fund jar joint that’s all that we did so far haha and talked about ideas but we can’t decide yet

• Alycia
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I only started traveling more recently since I became self-employed, I went with a private travel agent, she’s local and a friend of my moms she helped me plan my trip to Italy. She was awesome her name is Danielle Longtin, I believe she called her company Limoges Travels. They’re no fees added, she gets the commission from the resorts and all that. You can definitely book it yourself, but if you can find an agent even to do a free consultation with and see what your options are, you might really like the travel agent and wanna go with that knowing they take care of you or you can decide to go home and book it yourself after talking about options.

• Alycia
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Neither one of us has ever been on a cruise. We have no idea if we’ll feel sick from it. That’s something to consider I guess! It is pretty expensive when I was browsing too. I’ll talk to my travel agent soon and get some info and her input on it!

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Those beautiful views will cost you lol. How important is a beachfront view? I've traveled a lot and find that a good garden view is also a nice alternative.

Have you looked at the weather and whatnot to expect in all these places in October? We decided on Aruba because it's literally one of 3 places (before you get into South America) that misses all the hurricanes!

• Mary
    Mary ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah we're looking at aruba too ! but also looking at Antigua or Barbados. we're looking just for 4 stars! I think whats riding the price up is we wanna upgrade our room to a beachfront view that's why

• Bianca
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Where are you looking?! That's definitely high-end beyond 5-star resorts.

We're looking at Aruba (all-inclusive) and finding just over 8K for 2 weeks. There's also a really nice resort brand - Breathless - that we went to in Cancun that runs around 5K for a week (in Cancun), less at some of their other resorts!

We're just looking online, browsing constantly, nothing special lol.

• Mary
    Mary ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You know I had this other crazy idea maybe get a last minute deal closer to my wedding date! they're always much cheaper and desperate to fill the flight but I'm scared to leave it to last minute closer to the chaois

• Mary
    Mary ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I know ! I wanted to originally do a cruise but my fiancé gets super sick on them so he asked if we can do that at another time

• Mary
    Mary ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Lol what travel agency company are you using ? I never dealt with a travel agency before so I have no idea if they will be able to help or is it better to find deals online on my own

• Mary
    Mary ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks for sharing ! your plan sounds so fun ! we decided not to do a cruise for the honeymoon but defintly will check that website later when we do go on a cruise !

• Mary
    Mary ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Honestly I wanted a cruise too because I've never been and hear good things about them but my fiancé gets super sick after every single cruise hes been on so he doesn't wanna do it for our honeymoon. I still didn't talk to any travel agency yet but when I look online at redtag or sunwing etc its so expensive to book a beachfront 4 star all inclusives !

• Mary
    Mary ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I keep finding **** for just one week vactions ! is there a certain website you recommend or are you going through travel agency ?

• Mary
    Mary ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wow lool I wish we can do that ! our weeding is large so its costing us a fortune so we wanna do something small yet nice for our honeymoon and maybe look at fancier vacations later lol

• Alycia
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Awesome, I think I’ll get on that so I can start having an idea of what to save, but I was thinking exactly what you said 7000$ was my budget

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Lol If you have a travel agent you work it, definitely ask her! There is lots of cruising options and I would recommend them 110%

• Alycia
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

She was just a travel agent I ran into at a wedding show so maybe that’s why. I was one random person talking to her, and she was helping out her friend so she wasn’t representing herself lol. I gotta talk to my travel agent still. I haven’t contacted her because it’s early still and she tends to send me so many options to look at that I get too excited!! Lol

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We booked ourselves with Royal Caribbean! Their website is pretty user-friendly and you can book all your excursions/add-ons before you go! We had to put down a $500 deposit when we booked and then pay off the balance before a certain date (pretty sure 90 days before the cruise).

The cruise itself is for 7 days, we are going down to Miami for a few days beforehand as well. I'm more of a lay on the beach person than my FH, but I can only do it for a day or two, so it's nice to have excursion options!

I'm surprised your travel agent shot down the cruise idea, I personally find them the ideal vacation since you can see so many different places!

• Alycia
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Okay my original idea was to do this for our honeymoon! We aren’t lay around on the beach all day ppl and I thought what a cool way to try a cruise and visit different places down south because we’ve both never been before. Talking to a travel agent she told me I might be better to just do a resort and keep a cruise for another time which disappointed me a little. Did you guys use a travel agent or just book it yourselves? I’m nervous about booking things like that lol and how long is the cruise for?

• Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I honestly have no clue how much ours cost, flights were paid for so we just paid for our airbnbs, food and car rental. Probably cost between **** Canadian. Opting for airbnbs saved us a lot as we could make our own food in the kitchens. We went to Italy and Greece in October, it was amazing, still way too hot for me. We got to enjoy the beaches and pools and it made sleeping more comfortable as it got cooler at night. I definitely would not rule Europe nice, as the weather was still amazing and there was WAY less tourisits.

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It really depends what you are wanting to do for your honeymoon.

We are doing a week long cruise in the Caribbean, leaving out of Miami. The cruise itself costs about $3000 for both of us, then around $1000 for flights (not booked yet), and $2000 for excursions/alcohol/hotel in Miami beforehand/food in Miami.

We've budgeted around $5000 for the honeymoon but definitely looking to keep it under $7000.

• Bianca
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I absolutely agree with all of this!

During October Punta Cana or Jamaica are also good honeymoon destinations since it will still be very warm (compared to places like Cuba or Mexico).

For us, we’re looking to spend around $7000-$8000 on a 2 week honeymoon.
  • Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our honeymoon budget was about $24,000 but we went travelling Europe (Scotland, Ireland, Spain, Italy) for 2 months. Worked out to about $1500/week each. We did a much cheaper wedding to afford the honeymoon we wanted haha.

I wouldn’t rule out Europe just because it will be fall. We were in Italy in mid-October and the weather was amazing! Definitely still had beach weather. It was actually the perfect time to go because it was so much less busy than in the summer months!
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Like the others said - there are a lot of factors. I would think that at least for me and my Fiancé our budget will be around the $5000 mark but of course we are going to look into going at different times of the year and not necessarily right after our wedding. Plus we will be looking at different places for price differences. We are also hoping that the presentation at our wedding will help out though Smiley smile

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Honestly I would figure out your budget first! With a budget you can better narrow down the other questions like where, how long, what features! A good all inclusive resort usually starts around $1500.00 each for a nice week somewhere warm! That can get higher based on location or lower based on the star rating of the resort (I try to stick to 4 or 5 stars when I go and check reviews a lot!) We have been to both Jamaica and Punta Cana for vacations before and both were amazing and under $3000.00 for the both of us for a week! We are probably going to treat ourselves to something a little more maybe towards the $5000.00 range and go somewhere a bit nicer or go for longer!

• Mary
    Mary ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks kelsie !

yeah you're absolutely right, we figured all of that out but I'm seeing the prices are so high anywhere between **** for just one week all inclusive so that's why im asking if that's normal for honeymoon

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it depends on what you’re looking for. Will you do something local? Down south, I.e., Caribbean? Do you want an all inclusive? A cruise?

How long will you go for? A week? 2? Longer?

are you leaving right away for the honeymoon or deferring it to another time?

So many factors come into play. We started researching our options and have a rough figure in mind for what we want to do. I think we will eventually also get a travel agent to help us out. I suggest figuring out what you want for your honeymoon and just start researching cost so it gives you an idea on cost.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics