Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Joey
WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland

How do you feel about receiving lines?

Joey, on August 31, 2017 at 08:36 Posted in Wedding reception 0 15

Good morning, all! I'm curious to know how you feel about receiving lines. Do you like them? They are a great way to ensure every one of your guests gets a personal welcome and thank you from you. Or do you think they take too long or get awkward? Would you rather skip the receiving line and go table to table at dinner to welcome your guests? Let us know what you're going to be doing!

You know if Will and Kate had one, they are still very much in fashion!You know if Will and Kate had one, they are still very much in fashion!

15 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on January 1, 2018 at 09:27
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don't personally find its the best greeting. Takes too long and how many of their names are tou going to remember by the end of the line. Keep it simple and greet at each table.
  • Sonja
    VIP September 2017 Ontario
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are just having 29 guests and I feel that going table to table will be how we will greet everyone. We may have some time before the dinner (during the cocktail hour) to thank people for coming. I've been in receiving lines before and the bride and groom are definitely in it, not just the parents. I wasn't a fan of standing in one spot for an hour greeting people I had never met before.

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think they're incredibly awkward, especially if you expect your bridal party to stand there with you. Usually they don't know everybody that's at the wedding and have no idea how to make conversation with the guests in the line. I find it's awkward for the bride and groom as well! We won't be having one. We plan on going around and talking to everyone throughout the night instead.

• N
    Newbie September 2018 Alberta
    Nancy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am planning to usher out my guests myself from the church giving each a short hug before dismissing the next row!
  • Kayla
    Devoted September 2017 Alberta
    Kayla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

No thank you!

We also only have 35 people coming and its 90% family who see us on the regular.

• S
    Newbie November 2017 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thank you so much ☺
  • Chelsea
    Master August 2017 Ontario
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I personally don't like them. I think they are very awkward and they take forever to get through. I do understand why people do them, this way the bride and groom guarantee that they talk to all of the guests. We were going to have one for that reason, but with our timeline, even though we had a lot of space in between our ceremony and reception, with family photos, plus wedding party, and then our own photos... it wouldn't fit in with our timeline... We made sure to go to every table at the reception instead and I personally liked doing that more anyways! I felt more relaxed at that point anyways!

• Samtam
    VIP November 2016 British Columbia
    Samtam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had wanted to do a receiving line but it didn't really work with our timeline and our venues. Luckily our wedding was small enough that we were able to greet every guest during the cocktail hour.

It's funny though because I had talked about the receiving line with my mom and she had told me that it was NOT for the bride and groom but for the parents to greet everyone and I was thinking "I don't think that's how this works..." Though I've never actually seen one done at the weddings I've been to so I'd be interested to see how it works!

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm not really a fan but I see the practicality of it.

• Lesley
    Super September 2017 Manitoba
    Lesley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We're not doing one but I understand the practicality of it. That way you're guaranteed to thank every single person who came to your wedding.
  • Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm not personally a fan, but my fiance really wanted on so we're having one.

It will ensure we get to see everyone at least once, though so I won't feel pressure to circulate during dinner or feel like I neglected any of our guests.

• Laura
    Frequent user August 2018 Ontario
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Although I'm not a fan of receiving lines, to appease my mom and FMIL I know I will have to. It's traditional in the sense but I know that there will be people there that I have never met from my FH side so it will be an opportunity to meet them as well.
  • Sasha
    Super October 2017 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don't like them. It reminds me of meet and greets at concerts. Going around to everyone's table during the night is the way to go in my opinion. That s why we are having an intimate wedding so that way we can spend a lot of time with everyone
  • Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Def not a fan of receiving lines. We will be walking around and talking with all of our guests during happy hour before dinner. We are hoping that itll be more of a relaxed environment and that we can actually have conversations with family and friends we dont see often instead of just a quick 'thanks for coming!'

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics