Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Hannah
Beginner June 2022 Ontario

How do you choose your bridesmaids?

Hannah, on January 31, 2019 at 15:07 Posted in Before the wedding 0 13

I thought I knew who I wanted to have in my bridal party, but lately I've felt closer to a newer friend and further from an older friend. I'm not sure what to do. I want to reconnect with my older friend, but I also don't want to ignore/exclude my newer friend. My bridal party already has seven people in it and I'm not sure if I should invite one more bridesmaid in or if she would feel hurt because I didn't invite her in earlier. Does anyone have any thoughts or advice, or has anyone else had a similar experience?

13 Comments

Latest activity by Hannah, on February 16, 2019 at 20:02
  • Hannah
    Hannah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thank you so much Leah, your response really helped me so much. ❤
  • Leah
    Curious May 2019 Ontario
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I had hard time originally with my bridal party. I actually completely uninvited a Bridesmaid to the whole wedding. We knew each other in school and she had always kind of forced herself into my life and told me she would be MOH and stuff. And for that reason I decided not to have a MOH because I didn't want it being her.
    I feel so much better knowing she won't be at our wedding and honestly it's your wedding so don't be afraid of others feelings and you have to picture what you want your wedding day to be like!
    I had been friends with this girl since Grade 9 and known since grade 7. And I invited my mentor who I have now known for just over a year but she really brings out the best in me and is super positive influence in my life.

Also, don't worry about the numbers of how many people you have standing up there with you! If you want them there, they should be there! Don't go by the norm Smiley smile

• Meghan
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My FH had a situation like this with his groomsmen...he had his 4 picked, leaving one friend who he used to be closer to but over the years they stopped hanging out as much as they used to, not included. I suggested we have him be our MC so he still has a part in the wedding...he is still going to get a gift like the groomsmen and we got him a matching tie as well.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

No bridesmaids were accounted for in our wedding party. Just 2 each of MOHs and BM (Best Man) simple and sweet. We asked them straight up.

• Sharlene
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Sharlene ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I had a similar situation. I have a lifelong friend who I don't see often as we both lead busy lives and a somewhat newer friend that I see often and go on trips with. I went with the newer friend and we are having the lifelong friend marry us (she is a lawyer and in Alberta can do this if we apply to have her marry us and as long as an officiant in Jasper area is unavailable)

• Erin
    Super September 2019 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My wedding party is huge. My fiance has too many friends that he couldn't choose between all of them. We picked our party very early into our three year engagement and I got close to someone since then. I have asked him to join and he was totally okay with being added in later - he's just honoured to be standing with me at all. If you approach it respectfully, there's no reason you can't add a person in later if you really want them there!

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would leave it for now as your not getting married till 2020. Based on my experience I had people drop out and then ask others to join. This way gives you time to build up more with your new friend and see if she sticks around. I have a larger wedding party too , 6 girls but I wouldn't go any higher

• Sarah
    Expert August 2021 British Columbia
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    How long until the big day?I would try and reconnect with the old friend and include the new friend in some of the planning.If you have at least a year I would play it out and see who you are closest to at the 6 month mark.
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Welcome and congrats!!!
    I know what you mean about new and old friends! My party is of 5 and I pretty much knew well before we got engaged hahah!! Had it planned our for a while! I just added his sister last as we have recently become really good friend!! 8 on your party is fine and I can tell it would mean a lot to you to have both new and old at your side! How many people does you fiancé have? Could they balance it or would you care if it was uneven?
  • Hannah
    Hannah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thank you Leah! I like what you said about getting friends involved in other ways. Appreciate the advice, and thank you for the welcome! Congratulations!

• Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Congratulations on your engagement! Welcome to the WW community!

Tori gives such great advice! I agree with waiting to the 1 Year mark.

How many is your SO considering?

Personally, I’m a fan of a small wedding party (I’m actually not having any at all), but take stock of your friend group and look at other ways you could include and involve them if you don’t feel connected enough for them to be in your wedding party.

This is does not have to be a super stressful time. It’s about you being surrounded by your loved ones on your wedding day! So enjoy!
  • Hannah
    Hannah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thank you so much Tori, I really appreciate your advice, and it helped that you used an example from your own wedding. I'll think on it a little more before deciding what to do. And congratulations to you as well! Thanks for welcoming me to the community. Smiley smile

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

When you said that you already have seven people in your bridal party - does that mean you already asked seven people?

If so..... then I would say to ask them both seeing as how you already have a large bridal party!

If not... then I would say to wait until the 1 year mark! Lots can change in that time!! I know that for me I made sure to wait to the 1 year mark (which meant waiting 9 months after getting engaged) to ask my girls because there were some that were iffy. I had a friend that I wanted to reconnect with but I didn't ask her to be a BM. This friend was a friend since Kindergarten but we hadn't really hung out in a year so I decided an invite would be sufficient. I opted to ask new friends who have been there for me and through my relationship with my now FH, then Boyfriend. They knew the person that I am right now more than that friend from school did.

If you don't care about numbers - why not both though? It's just one more!

P.S. Congrats on the engagement and welcome to the WW community!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics