Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Stevie
Frequent user September 2023 Ontario

Honouring Lgbtqia+ Heritage at the wedding

Stevie, on January 18, 2023 at 20:27 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 6
As a queer couple, I really want to acknowledge the privilege that we have and to honour the people who came before us in our community that made it possible for us to have a legal marriage.

Does anyone know of any readings or quotes or ways that we can incorporate this acknowledgment and gratitude into our ceremony?
I’m not finding anything online so I think I may have to just…write something out for our officiant to say. Or maybe I should just include it in my vows? That seems weird though.
Any ideas would be so so helpful!

6 Comments

Latest activity by Elizabeth, on January 20, 2023 at 21:21
  • Elizabeth
    Newbie October 2023 Ontario
    Elizabeth ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are a queer couple too! We have decided that our "favours" will be a donation to the rainbow railroad as a way to remind people that marriage equality is not a reality, let alone being safe. Also I've heard of some queer couples quoting the Obergfell marriage equality court ruling "No union is more profound than marriage, for it embodies the highest ideals of love, fidelity, devotion, sacrifice, and family. In forming a marital union, two people become something greater than once they were." Which I think is just beautiful!

• Joy
    Frequent user August 2023 Nova Scotia
    Joy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This is aimed at allies, but has some good ideas that could be included. https://offbeatwed.com/ways-to-recognize-marriage-equality-at-your-wedding/

Most things I've seen other than that are: include pride flag colours in your decor, go with less traditional attire, or include a reading or acknowledgement remembering those who came before.

• Stevie
    Stevie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Congrats to your dad, that’s beautiful 🥰🥰🥰

I think that’s what I’ll have to do! Just a quick acknowledgment and thank you to our queer elders ❤️
  • Stevie
    Stevie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for the link to readings! I’ll have to check it out 🥰
  • C
    VIP September 2023 Ontario
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My dad had a commitment ceremony before it was legal for him to get married, then once it because legal he tied the knot. Was nice to be able to see him finally get married to his partner. Love is love. After many, many years of it being legal and more same sex marriages happening you would think there would be more readings.

You can write something special from the heart for the officiant to say or mention it with the speeches at the reception.

• Kate
    Featured August 2022 Ontario
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was hoping to find some really cool ideas of something to do to acknowledge but sad to say am having a hard time BUT did find some readings on the American wedding wire site.

https://www.weddingwire.com/wedding-ideas/gay-wedding-readings

I feel like it would be cool to incorporate something like rope tying but not rope tying, something that would better or maybe more obviously represent the Lgbtgia community but can't find anything Smiley sad

Hoping you find something suitable for you and your partner Smiley heart

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics