Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Samantha
Newbie July 2021 Ontario

Honeymoon in Greece??

Samantha, on October 17, 2019 at 11:37 Posted in Honeymoon 0 9
Hello! We are getting married in June 2020 and want to go to Greece for our honeymoon but have no idea where to start planning, what to do, and how long to stay. We have set a budge of max 5000 all together, we know Greece can be expensive but it is a dream for the both of us! we would love any advice Smiley smile

9 Comments

Latest activity by Dimitris, on February 7, 2020 at 06:54
  • Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Dream trip for sure!!! I studied Greek art and architecture, so this would be nerd's paradise for me lol.

Delphi and Santorini would be on my must visit list. The Temple of Apollo at Delphi is stunning, so if you're into ancient Greek architecture at all, definitely a must see. Santorini is what you picture when you think of Greece; white buildings with blue roofs. Instagram heaven.

The other place I'd suggest is the Amphitheater at Epidaurus. Super impressive. It'll knock your socks off.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I have to say - your post made me so happy because Florence is legitimately my favourite City on the face of the earth. We watched the World Cup a year and a half ago right next to the Duomo. So gorgeous!

• M
    Frequent user May 2021 Ontario
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I just got back from Greece! I went two four islands and the mainland. Here are my recommendations:

Unless you're super into ancient architecture, DON'T STAY IN ATHENS!!! Trust me, it is not as beautiful as everyone says it is. The nighttime there is definitely worth visiting if you have the time, but the city itself is covered in graffiti, and it's just not the beautiful place that I expected it to be.

Instead, stay on the water's edge in Voula and take a boat out to one of the small islands. There's a tour guide on the app With Locals named Aris who will take you for 5 hours to islands to swim and explore. He's incredible as a guide and it was the best day I had in my entire 20 day Europe tour!

The island of Crete is wonderful. I went to the town of Chania and ended up at the most gorgeous beach there. The sand is light and the water is gorgeous. It's less expensive than the more touristy islands of Mykonos or Santorini, which are wildly expensive party islands (we went to Mykonos and didn't enjoy it as much as we thought we would because it's party-heavy). Chania's city centre is this enormous bay that is lit up and you walk around the edge of the bay. It's just little restaurant after little restaurant and shops and the food is SO GOOD. Enjoy eating bread and olive oil for eery meal and losing weight. Seriously. That's what happened to my mother and I! Apparently there's magic in the Greek bread or something...

The island of Corfu was pretty, but the side that we were on (I believe the left side) did not have beaches that were pretty. We ended up jumping off a pier with some locals and swimming with them. Definitely adventurous, but if you're looking for relaxation, then it's not my favourite place.

But, if I may be so bold, at the start of my trip, I thought I was a Greece girl. My mom and I had gone on this trip specifically for Greece. But we were on a cruise, and there were four Italian stops first. We discovered something important: Italy is way more what your ideas of Greece are! Greece has let itself go in the modern era, in that they did not do a great job of preserving that ancient romanticism that you would expect from a nation that was once an ancient wonder. Italy, on the other hand?? WOW. IT WAS MINDBLOWING. Florence is now my favourite place in the world. There's a palace with statue replicas that are just as incredible as the real things if you don't want to pay for museums. There's the Duomo that is beyond description. Genoa? You can fall in love with a slug there, the romance is just overwhelming. Rome? Lose your mind at how powerful and regal it feels. You can see a guard changing and the Colosseum is on another level. We ended up in Pompeii by accident one day (long story) and had a three course meal and 6 glasses of wine at a winery on the volcanic soil of Mt Vesuvius.

Anyways, all that to say, if you're looking at Greece, consider also looking at Italy. It's way more bang for your buck and just more romantic.

Hope that this helps you a little bit!!

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My parents have used europeandestinations.com to book several trips to Europe that include flights, hotels, and travel between cities and they love it. I've always booked hostels with friends as a group option so I haven't used it myself.

I recommend visiting Delphi in Greece. It is a gorgeous little town in the mountains famous for an Oracle. I took this photo in late February or early March of 2009 ony grad trip to Italy and Greece. Honeymoon in Greece?? 1
  • Cliodhna
    WeddingWire Admin January 2030 Galway
    Cliodhna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Welcome to the WeddingWire community, Samantha Smiley smile

Greece is a beautiful honeymoon destination!

On the WeddingWire US site there is a honeymoon section with information on different destinations, tips and travels tricks. You should check it out for some inspiration -Greece Honeymoons.

Would you consider working with a travel agent on planning the trip to get the best price possible? There are some listed on the WeddingWire vendor directory - Honeymoon.

There is a perception that travel agents work out more expensive with fees, etc, however, this isn't always the case. Some of them get their commission from airlines, hotels, etc and don't charge a service fee. It's definitely worth looking into Smiley smile

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Check skiplagged for flights they have super cheap flights to greece. like around 600 each. instead of a hotel you can do air bnb for a house/condo. and make a list of places you want to go then book a place around there so you guys can walk!

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    He also suggested waiting till september for honeymoon. For more budget friendly.....
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My FH lived in Greece for sixteen years he suggested going to Halkidiki. He would spend summer vacation going to different parts of Greece. Says it's amazing there and lots to do.
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My coworker went to Greece last fall. It is expensive but she made it work.

She stayed at AirBnb's rather than hotels, which she recommends. I think she went for 10 days and visited Athens and a bunch of different islands like Santorini and Naxos. I know that Athens and Santorini are super busy and touristy.

Islands like Naxos weren't as touristy or busy. She enjoyed Naxos most.

I think determine how long you're going for and where in Greece you'd like to go and start researching AirBnb's to get an idea of what works with your budget.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics