Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner July 2021 Ontario

Honeymoon in Europe: What to Pack??

Michelle, on March 9, 2020 at 14:10 Posted in Honeymoon 1 9

Hello everyone,

My FH and I will be taking our honeymoon from June 29, 2020 - July 19, 2020. We are going to Lyon, France for 8 days; Brussels, Belgium for 5 days; and Rotterdam, Netherlands for 5 days. Our travel plans are all squared away, but the big question is how do we pack for this?? We will be taking the train between countries, and although the last time we were in Europe we both had a full size suitcase and carry-on suitcases, I felt that was a lot of luggage. I don't want to be struggling with luggage at all, how on earth do we pack for 3 weeks away with some additional travel during this time?

I would love to have 1 large suitcase with 2 carry-ons but have no idea how to do it. I feel like toiletries take up the most room, that and shoes....any advice would be great. I'm so worried about not having something with me on vacation that I always over-pack.

Thanks for your ideas and advice Smiley smile

9 Comments

Latest activity by Ashley, on March 10, 2020 at 12:21
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Pack light. we went to europe for a month on a shared mid size suitcase it was amazing. we just rented an air bnb with laundy and did laundry while we showered/slept. if ur in hotels you dont need soap, shower gel, shampoo, conditioner. just pack light and wear the same clothes a few times. 1 large and 2 carry ons is wayy too much. only bring one pair or shoes or maybe two. one sweater etc. dont pack a million of each item. limit it to one or two and you will be fine

• T
    Curious September 2020 Alberta
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

FH and I went to Europe in the fall and the only thing about the entire trip that I regret is that I brought a big suitcase. I used maybe a third of what I brought with me, and dragging that thing around was such a headache. We were there when it was cool, and even with packing warm clothes like sweaters I could have easily gotten away with a smaller suitcase.

• M
    Curious September 2021 Ontario
    Monika ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Having a lot of luggage really sucks and you end up regretting it. Make sure you have 1 suitcase per person. I made sure we had one suitcase each and a backpack each (I bought a cute leather backpack that I can use for travelling but that also looks cute so I can wear it daily as we tour around the places).

Doing 2 carry ons is possible especially when you buy all your toiletries there. I did that for one trip. I just brought travel sized stuff with me to Europe and then would buy stuff as I needed while I was there.

If you are not comfortable doing 2 carry ons, try to do one suitcase plus one carry on. Trust me, it will work and you will feel MUCH lighter travelling.

Happy travelling Smiley smile

• M
    Beginner July 2021 Ontario
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks so much for all your feedback ladies! I don't know if I can use just a carry-on, but you have all given me hope that I can pack less. Smiley smile

• Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You can definitely do it going light, but definitely bring detergent! When I went for 3 weeks, we actually got an airBnB with a washer in it which was a lifesaver.
    June and July are warm/hot times to go but you’ll still want a pair of pants and a sweater in case the weather does turn. With the Netherlands, you will want to have a raincoat handy in case of those pesky rains from England but otherwise, you should be fine.
    My go to for light packing is around a weeks worth of clothes: shorts and tank tops for when it’s warm, two long sleeves (that you can wear the tank tops under just in case), two pants and a sweater for cooler weather and a rain coat/windbreaker combo. Pack that with enough socks and detergent packs and you’re away to the races.
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You can do it carry-on only with a little careful planning. I love packing lists from HerPackingList.com. When we travel we only do carry-on now. I usually wear a pair of jeans, and my bulkiest shoes and sweater on the plane and keep the lighter pieces like dresses, leggings, and tees in my bag.

If you have time to do laundry, or have it sent out when you're in a city for more than a day then that can double your wardrobe. Packing in capsule wardrobes that can be mixed and matched helps to.
    Since you're traveling together you only need one toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, etc. So you don't need as many toiletries as you think.
    Cut down on souvenirs and think about mailing things back to save weight on the way home. Most people don't need a t-shirt or a keychain from everywhere you go but they might love a postcard that arrives while you're away!
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My advice for doing Europe - pack as light as possible.

FH and I did Europe 2 years ago (London, Paris, Rome and Florence) and we did it all - plane, train and automobile. Having tons of luggage stinks. It slows you down, it’s heavy, etc.
    My advice is use the toiletries your hotel or Airbnb comes with - that way you can save on space (save for deodorant etc). Roll your clothes! It saves room! If you have an Airbnb does it have a washer dryer? That would allow you to wash your clothes and bring less.
    Pack good running shoes! And leave space for souvenirs if that’s your thing! FH and I collect Christmas ornaments so we got a bunch over in Europe.
    The weather was great when we went except for Paris - it was oddly cold for that time of year twoYears ago.
  • Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My best friend and I went to France for 2 weeks last July and I packed everything in a carry on sized travel case. I was adamant that I wouldn't over pack since we were moving 3 times during our vacay and I'm known for over-packing. I laid everything out that I thought I would need, then I went back through everything and really thought about each piece. In the end, I ended up with half of what I started out with. I also packed more dresses than anything which saved A LOT of space, and 3 pairs of shoes cut down from 6 which were one basic black flat that could be dressed up or down, one pair heels for our Moulin Rouge night, and one pair of really comfy walking shoes.

I also packed travel packets of detergent which you can use in a sink so I could easily wash things if they got dirty and I could continue wearing them throughout the trip.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think it will be that big of a problem, if you are only going to be using the trains as transportation to get to where you need I'm sure it won't matter in the big picture of things since you are most likely dropping your stuff off at the hotel when you get to each location right? Me and my DH went on a trip in 2018 and although we had to bring our carry on bags with us through France during our layover it wasn't thaaaaat bad.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics