Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Audrey
Frequent user July 2022 Ontario

Honeymoon funds

Audrey, on October 14, 2021 at 15:26 Posted in Honeymoon 0 7

Hi Honeymooners! I want to set up a cash gift registry for contributions to our honeymoon. There are a good number of them to choose from, and I wondered which one others have used and what they liked / didn't like about them. I'm particularly interested in what Canadians have used to ensure ease of gift giving (and received) in CAD funds without having to work out conversions.

TIA for any input on this!

7 Comments

Latest activity by Audrey, on October 14, 2021 at 19:15
  • Audrey
    Audrey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Carmel, that makes sense, I see what you mean about having a small registry for gifts making people more likely to give cash but still an option for those who really want to do gift.
  • C
    Super December 2020 Ontario
    Carmel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ours was set up through our travel agent. No fees. Because this was on our small registry (mostly for my shower), people got the hint and only three gave through that and about 95% of the rest gave cash/cheques. I do think it's tacky to straight ask for cash so this is why we added it as an option on our registry. The majority of people know couples want cash. There will always be some that do not like to give cash and prefer to give a gift. I get it. Hence a small registry so we didn't get random crap! We only got one thing we don't know wtf to do with 😅 they also gave cash though so 🤷🏻‍♀️
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Most people prefer to bring cash and cheques to the wedding itself. Just have a gift box on-site.

It's generally bad etiquette to discuss gifts in the invite. It comes off as the invite being gift-grabby. Put that wording on the website where you will be taking RSVPs.

• Audrey
    Audrey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks for sharing your approach Amanda, I appreciate that insight.

Anyone who went more the e-route? Did you use an online service or just e-transfers and cheques? Really interested to hear what people found best. thanks!

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My fiance and I are more traditional and don't like the online method of things or e-transfers especially for a wedding. Yes it is the new thing these days but remember the older generation of family members may not do this sort of thing. We are having the traditional way of invites in the mail. We are putting an insert with our invites that we are sending out saying " We don't have a gift list for you to see. As we have everything we need in our home. Your presence at our wedding is a gift by itself. If you desire to give nonetheless, a monetary gift is one we suggest"

• Audrey
    Audrey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I hear you - I do see most take around 2.5%... I wondered though if guests would feel better about giving a gift of cash if it was through a more official site like this for a designated purpose, as opposed to giving cheques /e-transfers? I don't really want to sign-up for a traditional gift registry for other types of gifts as we truly don't need any "stuff."

If you simply asked people to contribute cash, how did you set that up? Did you put it on your invitations? Your website? Did you ask for e-transfers / cheques or some other means? How did you do it in a gracious way?

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I believe most money registries take a percentage off so it may be easier to just say in lieu of presents a monetary gift towards your honeymoon would be appreciated might be a better option

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics