Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kristina
Beginner August 2019 Quebec

Honeymoon Funding Apps

Kristina, on June 26, 2018 at 19:35 Posted in Honeymoon 0 9
Hi, my fiance and I are older and have much of what we need for our home, as such we were considering forgoing the typical wedding registry. However, I have seen some info about sites and maybe apps, that allow guests to contribute to your honeymoon fund in lieu of gifts. Has anybody used any of these, can someone recommend anything that worked for them?

9 Comments

Latest activity by Clarissa, on June 27, 2018 at 21:08
  • Clarissa
    Expert October 2018 Saskatchewan
    Clarissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Keep in mind with these sites they will take a % of the money guests are giving to them so if someone wants to give you $100 you will not actually get the full amount. And this might not site well with some guests when they want to give the whole amount to you and not a portion.

You can just skip the registry all together (or do a very small one) and let people who ask know your saving for your honeymoon or a down payment or whatever other big expense you may be saving for. In that case guests who are looking to give you a gift will usually just give you cash or a cheque and no overhead fees required.
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I actually made a simile thread a little while ago! Most people seemed to have recommended Honeyfund but after everything mentioned there and things from my family I've been talked out of it... I think just asking or mentioning accepting cards and cash (in a nicer way of course) at the reception is the way to go
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If you are not wanting gifts, get your guests to do monetary cards. Simply put on the invite NO BOXED GIFTS PLEASE. I did the same and then use that towards your honeymoon.

• Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We didn't say anything about gifts as we were hoping people would contribute money towards our honeymoon fund. About 90% of our gifts were money and the rest were homemade gifts, which is perfect.

I would say you could add a little note about contributing to a honeymoon fund on your invites, something like this

https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/380976449713659941/

That way you avoid the fees taken from websites and guests who prefer not to contribute online.

• Tyanna
    Super June 2019 British Columbia
    Tyanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Usually those sorts of sites or apps collect a portion of the funds! I'd suggest going with a bank account that they can deposit to, or do an old fashioned card table Smiley smile
  • Kristina
    Kristina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Good things to think about, hadn't thought of sights not being trust worthy.
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are also doing a honeymoon fund instead of the traditional gift registry. We made a personal PayPal account and added a link to our wedding website. The guests click the link that says "donate" and it takes them to a new page asking them the amount and way of payment. We will also set up a money box at the reception for those that prefer to give in person.

I know a few websites and apps charge a fee to either those giving the money or the couple so we decided we didn't want to deal with that. Plus using an app or website kind of makes me nervous and I know PayPal and have been using it for ages so for me, that's more trusted.

• Kristina
    Kristina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Very cool! I like this so much, will def check into it.
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This is what we are doing... I've started looking into HoneyFund... I like the layout a lot, you can add the "pieces" of your honeymoon (flights, hotel/cruise, drink package, excursions, etc)... then you add quantity able to be bought, and a price value.

For example, our Cruise was $3000 CAD, so I can do a quantity of 20 x $100 gifts, and 20 x $50 gifts... or I can add our drink package (about $1000), and put different options.

Or you can just leave it as an open gift amount... But I like you can personalize it, change photos, talk about what you're going to do on your honeymoon, etc.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics