Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

AJ Juras
Newbie September 2020 British Columbia

Honey moon fund instead of gifts!

AJ Juras, on August 9, 2018 at 11:53 Posted in Honeymoon 0 12
Hey everyone!
So my fiancé and I are discussing that instead of wedding gifts we would rather have people contribute money to our honey moon fund! There isn’t really anything we are in need of and don’t want to end up with junk we don’t need.
What are people’s thoughts on this ?
Have you done it or been asked to?
any feed back will be appreciated please!!

12 Comments

Latest activity by Holly, on August 20, 2018 at 14:58
  • Holly
    Frequent user November 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are planning on doing a honeymoon fun as well. We are having an open bad so in leiu of people paying for their drinks we are hoping they will help contribute to our honeymoon. I think you should do whatever is best for you. Is there a website people can transfer money to so their not necessarily just giving money?

• Angel
    Frequent user June 2019 British Columbia
    Angel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it is quite the norm nowadays...I've been to many weddings which makes it clear in their invitation that they prefer cash. I think it's better to state it upfront rather than have people show up with useless gifts because some people WILL bring gifts!

• Jami
    Curious July 2019 Ontario
    Jami ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hello,

I don't know if its an old fashion thing or not, but we are calling ours "wishing well" This way we are hoping people bring cards instead of gifts and we can use it towards what is needed. We are in the same boat with not needing much but a couple small renovations on our home and our honeymoon.

Here is an example I found :

""Soon we are to be Mr & Mrs
    We don’t need a wedding list of dishes.
    Our life together has already begun
    We have almost everything under the sun:
    Two kettles, two toasters, two microwaves
    Though we also have dreams for which to save.
    Our dream is to honeymoon in a foreign land
    And walk along the beach hand in hand.
    If you would like to give us a gift
    A contribution towards this would give us a lift.
    We like to think of it as our ‘Wishing Well’
    Which will be filled with your love, we can tell!
    But the most important thing to say
    Is that you are there to celebrate our day! ""

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I say yea tonthw idea because the space is limited and don't need to spend more than needed. The funds can help with your honeymoon as i have seen others on here do the same.
  • Christine
    Frequent user October 2019 Ontario
    Christine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm curious about this as well because FH and I have been living together for four years now and our wedding is going to be out of province. I don't like the idea of spending money on mailing gifts to my small apartment... that can't fit any more things.

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Depends on the fund you use! I have a honeyfund set up where I have disabled credit card and paypal options (which is where they would skim off the top) - basically, guests can pick a 'gift' and print off a certificate for it to include with their cash or check and there's no fee. At least among my friends and family, they will like the idea of 'buying dinner/a massage/a tour' or pooling money to pay for the airfare upgrade/hotel room.

However, I do suggest also having a regular registry at one store. Put things on it that you need new ones of, or you'd like but don't need - some people prefer giving gifts, plus it gives guests options for the bridal shower (if you're having one). Plus then it doesn't come across like "We want cash!". It gives them the option.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    This 100%! I really don’t mind giving monetary gifts (I prefer to do so), but as soon as anyone specifically asks for money, it puts a sour taste in my mouth. I know this varies depending on where you live and the crowd you roll with, I just personally don’t like it.
  • S
    Frequent user January 2021 Alberta
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I personally don't like honeyfunds, because whatever service you use ends up skimming off the top so you, the couple, are better off just getting cash instead. That said, it's rude to specifically ask for cash, but if you simply don't register anywhere and/or under an FAQ section on your website state "no boxed gifts" people will get the hint. You'll still get the odd random trinket from an Aunt or family friend, but you'll get that whether you register, do an official honeyfund, or make no requests at all. The vast majority of people will give cash or gift cards of some kind.

• Krystal
    Curious August 2018 British Columbia
    Krystal ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We asked for money as well for our honeymoon. There is also options to set up a registry with flight center or other travel agencies that your guests can contribute to.
  • M
    Devoted August 2018 Ontario
    Megis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I had a wedding with money gifts for the honeymoon fund. Just make sure to state it politely on the invitation. We still got a few small wedding gifts from guests.

Honey moon fund instead of gifts! 1

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

SOOO many people are doing this nowadays. With less and less people not living together before marriage, the traditional registry items are often not needed.

We are doing a Honeyfund. I've written a blurb on our wedding website explaining why it means so much to us, and what we will be doing for our honeymoon (11-night Southern Caribbean cruise, it's our first vacation alone together and my FH's first time travelling outside of Canada/US).

I would say, look up the ways people phrase "cash gifts" in the most eloquent way, and that's it! It's becoming the norm. Plus people will probably rather give you money to get exactly what you want, than buy you a new blender or crystal decanter...

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That's what me and my FH are going to be doing! I endorse it! lol

By the time our wedding shower and wedding time roll around we will have lived together for a year so we won't need much gift wise but could always use the money - especially since weddings cost so darn much nowadays that there usually isn't room in the budget for both a wedding and a honey moon!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics