Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kelsie
Master July 2021 Ontario

Home Sweet Home!

Kelsie, on November 12, 2019 at 14:33 Posted in Living together 0 19

My FH and I are looking to buy our first home together this winter (excited but also screaming on the inside because... adulting!)

Right now, we live separately as his family is Catholic and believes we shouldn't live together before marriage so this will be a pretty exciting time for us!

We're going to move somewhere where neither of our families live, but my family will likely move to the area once my mom retires in a few years. None of our friends live out that way either, so really looking forward to meeting new people!

I'm really excited about the prospect of getting more serious with looking at different homes, picking our furniture, paint colours, bathroom towels - you name it, I'm excited!

I want to hear about your 'home sweet home'!

1. When did you get your first home together? Were you dating? Were you married?

2. Did you move to a new area? Or stay close to family/friends/work?

3. Who decorated? Does your FH/DH have a 'man cave'? My FH is really excited about getting a man cave.

4. What "sold" you on your first home? Did you love the natural light? Was it nicely decorated? Was it close to family/friends/work?

Home Sweet Home!Home Sweet Home! 1

19 Comments

Latest activity by Арафен, on October 21, 2020 at 07:00
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We did everything backwards. We had the kids first then when I was pregnant with our second we moved into our home. I love my house because it is big enough for all of us. I have two children from a previous marriage and there is a big age gap between kids. My oldest lives up north but my second oldest has the run of the basement. He has his own space. Our house is in a great neighbourhood and I love pretty much everything about it. Kids go to a really good school it is close to work for FH and son. I have about a half hour drive but I was within 15 minutes of work before. So now that we have kids and house we are going to do the wedding.
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s awesome! You’re making amazing equity on your condo for sure!

I work downtown but want to get out of there ASAP LOL not a city person at all
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thats so exciting! good luck i hope you guys find something. we were just dating when we bought a condo and we decided to stay in toronto cuz i work downtown and need to be close to the subway and he drives to work so that didnt matter to him. we decorate together and pick things out together. and no man cave in the condo we have the spareroom as a computer room with a bookshelf and extra sofa chair in there

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

She likes it, she lives with her parents and would rather live on her own, but she likes the town.

Hoping you find something nice and affordable!!

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's so funny! I love it a lot actually. Does your bridesmaid like it? And it's growing as well, so we're hoping to get a little bit of equity anyway even if we're there only short term.

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

One of my bridesmaids actually lives in Waterdown! It is a commute, but much more affordable! I think we talked about the expensiveness of Toronto in another discussion lol

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes, it's really nice and it's definitely growing, so again - more equity!

We're looking into Waterdown which is in between Hamilton and Burlington. Big commute to Toronto but honestly - who can afford Toronto?!

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I honestly love Guelph! I almost went there for school instead of Thunder Bay, but wouldn't have met my DH if I did. I love that it's not too populated but you aren't far from K-W, Toronto, Hamilton.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

At least you both got into the market and will have some equity! It's so hard down here in Southern Ontario...we're trying to get a home that doesn't need a lot of renovations because we aren't really handy and we just don't have the time with all the commuting we're going to be doing.

Cambridge/Guelph are sooo nice! I almost bought a home in Guelph when I was in my mid 20s. The communities are so beautiful!

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our first home was definitely not what we were expecting, considering my FH bought just before we started dating. Keeping that in mind, we are hoping to move in the next year or so to a bigger home somewhere in Southern Ontario - that's a whole other sack of potatoes I'm not addressing in these answers!

1. DH had a small, one bedroom, house he bought in 2015 because he was tired with renting/roommates so he wanted to own and had a limited budget. I was renting at the time but moved in April 2017 when my lease was up. We were only dating at the time, been together 1 1/2 years when I moved in.

We're planning to eventually move back to somewhere in Southern Ontario - not sure of the logistics of that yet, but eventually get a bigger house.

2. Thunder Bay is small, but I did move to the opposite end of the city then where I was renting. DH and I both lived on the Port Arthur (north) side and now live in Westfort (south side).

When we move south, our plan is to move to a new city, ideally K-W, Cambridge or Guelph.

3. I did more of the decorating when I moved in. DH doesn't have a man cave (house only has 5 rooms total, including kitchen, bathroom and bedroom).

Our next house, we both want to have an "office" or room that is strictly one of ours.

4. Kind of answered this in #1, but for my FH, he wanted to get out of renting and dealing with roommates. I moved in because it made sense.

For our next house, we want 2-3 bedrooms, and it to not need a lot of renovations. We had to do a few renos on our current house

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That'll be so exciting! We're looking for homes now (kind of, more browsing MLS lol)... and we're being picky with our list of things, if we don't find anything in the first few months of next year we'll reduce our list of "wants" and hopefully find something!

• Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh for sure!
    Buying our next home will be a different experience because we will only need to worry about what we want !
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We moved in the same area only. We cost out the projects and save to get the materials as needed.
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's great that you enjoy decorating Vinod!! I'm not really a "handy" person and my FH won't have the time for projects, so we're trying to save, save, save to get a house that's done and finished, save for maybe a coat of paint.

Is your new home close to your old home? Or did you choose a new location altogether?

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's awesome that you both made room for your in-laws to stay while they built their new home! Really generous and thoughtful!

It's also exciting when you can make something your own - a little paint and new flooring can really change the entire dynamic of a home!

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My husband owned his home and small perfect enough to start. We started dating as of November 2013 and moved in his home near work in May 2014. His style of decorating at the time as older times (grannies as I called it) of lace curtains and furniture. This stayed for the duration of time while living together of a start. Eventually, changes were made to modern style and colours brought in to brighten up the space. Material had from before to save shopping. Decorating was done mostly by myself and the sewing projects by fiancé at the time. We moved to another location 2 years later and bought a new home small again enough for us. This time I made sure that the home was ok and had lots of storage/work space and larger closet space which will be redone next year. The style is somewhat outdated and needs updating being worked on. Curtains have been changed from the old granny type to modern looking better. Blinds being removed too to give the sunlight to come into the home.

We live near our workplaces and friends yet not close to our families who are 1 1/2 hours away east and west sides.

• Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We had a little different situation when it came to buying a house. About a year into our relationship my husbands parents wanted to sell their family home to start building their own house. So my husband started looking for a house that his parents could live in as well.
    We both looked at houses that we wanted but had to keep in mind his parents would live there as well. So his parents lived in his house for about a year while I still lived at home. Once they moved out I moved in. There just wasn’t enough room in the house for all of us.
    So we have lived together for about 3 years now. We have made the house the way we wanted (painted everything, changed the floors, added some pot lights)My husband had a drum room, which is his little man cave. He’s got a full drum kit, tv, computer and a ton of room! That’s what sold him on the house. Our property is actually pretty big for the city. He has lived in Niagara Falls his whole life so I moved there. It’s only 20 mins from where I grew up so it’s not far
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s awesome you were able to find a place near your DHs job! My FH will have a hefty commute to his job but we can’t afford to live in Toronto either hahah.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

1. We moved into our first home in July 2018 (6 months after getting engaged but we had been together for 1 year and 3 months) so we would have been Fiancé(e)'s.

2. We still live in Winnipeg and it's not exactly a BIG city with the ability to get from one end to the other in less than an hour - but we used to live on opposite sides with his parents in NK, mine in Whyte Ridge, and now we are in EK with hopes of our final destination being in Transcona (which is where he grew up and where my parents and sister moved to)!

3. We haven't yet... my DH is a carpenter so we are still in renovations.... I can imagine that one of the guest rooms will turn into a video game room though - that or our main living room being the main set up for gaming.

4. The price was right, the neighbourhood was near where we wanted to end up and it had a good school division for when we have kids if we don't end up moving before then. That and it is less than 5 minutes away from my DH's work!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics