Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

T
Newbie October 2021 Ontario

Home Ceremony Reception

T.s., on September 3, 2021 at 00:59 Posted in Wedding reception 0 4
Hello,

I’m just wondering if anyone has done a wedding at home and has any tips / tricks. We’ve changed things so many times due to covid. We want to just get married already so we are planning to get married in the end of October. With that said it’s not ideal to be outdoors after the ceremony in case it’s cold. We were thinking backyard for ceremony (quick) and inside for the rest. I’m planning to skip on a lot of the more traditional wedding type things (so that helps). Trying to make it more like a dinner party. The home isn’t huge but we also find costs about doubled with tents and everything. We were thinking super small but it’s looking like more around 25 people. Does anyone think it’s weird to set up tables, chairs and decorate upstairs and in the basement (finished with bar) with a buffet set up in the basement. I’m trying to think how to space people out so it’s not too crowded. This is all our closest family and friends so I’m hoping it will be more like a family gathering but I’m worried people may find it tacky.
Help!

4 Comments

Latest activity by Darlene, on September 4, 2021 at 18:10
  • Darlene
    Curious September 2021 Ontario
    Darlene ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m getting married September 25 and having an at home wedding. We are hoping that it’s not too chilly and raining and will be able to have everything outside but if it does rain I’m making my living room and dinning room the venue.
    We are also having 25 people and think it will work out just fine
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    As long as you take care of details I don't think it'll come off as tacky. Nice decorations, (like Hank suggested real plates and plates) is it possible to move furniture so you have a bigger area for tables and chairs?
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The space at home can be set up for finger food to be an easy buffet style and the tables for standing giving the space for guests to eat and drink. The tent can have chairs if some guests feel they want to sit down. Decor can be simple and easy as you don't need much as tealight holders.

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    How big is the home? If you have the space to host 25 as a dinner in one room, or break out into groups, it can be pretty nice. I've attended a wedding in a condo party room for 25 people. It was enough space for that size of a crowd while allowing people to move around and break into groups. Everyone could sit at the same time if they felt like it. The food was all appetizers but there was enough going around that it felt like a meal. It was casual enough of a vibe but still felt like a major event.

Where it might get tacky is if you use plastic cutlery and cups, paper plates, etc. I think that might feel more like a university frat party than a wedding. Even if you don't have 25 sets of plates and cutlery, renting them is cheap enough that it won't break any budget while it really enhances the vibe of the event. Same goes with wine glasses.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics