Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Curious June 2020 Ontario

Hiring an Interpreter

Leanne, on January 11, 2019 at 00:19 Posted in Ontario 0 7

I’m looking to hire a Spanish-English interpreter mainly because my fiance’s mother does not know any English and I don’t want one of our bilingual guests having to “work” the whole time instead of enjoy themselves. Has anyone hired an interpreter? Do you know what it might cost or even how to find one? When I try google I keep getting sites about applying to for jobs, but nothing about hiring someone. Thanks!

7 Comments

Latest activity by Daniela, on January 11, 2019 at 15:39
  • Daniela
    Frequent user September 2020 Ontario
    Daniela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ahhh okay this is much different than what I thought! Im sure if post an ad on kijiji someone would answer. Do they have to be a professional interpreter? Can it just be someone whose native language is spanish? Because if so then I feel like itd be easier! If all fails you can hire me Smiley tongue lol
  • S
    Frequent user October 2019 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Glendon college is a bilingual campus at Bayview and Lawrence. They might be able to suggest a student who is studying translation or allow you to post an ad on campus.
  • L
    Curious June 2020 Ontario
    Leanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thanks everyone. I don’t think there is a Spanish school near by and I’m not really sure how they could help, but I will see what I find.

My fiance is Peruvian so we already planned to have speeches and everything bilingual. I planned to hire an interpreter so his mom can interact with other guests (especially my family). There will be a few other Peruvians/ Spanish-speakers there, but we are having a second reception in Peru, so this crowd is mostly English-speaking and it would be a shame to fly his mom all the way up to Canada for a wedding just to have her only talk to her husband the whole time.
  • Daniela
    Frequent user September 2020 Ontario
    Daniela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Maybe what you can do is have on a screen the translation of certain things (speech, vows, whatever you are doing) for the spanish speaking crowd? Im from colombia and some of my fam members and family friends dont speak very well so im thinking on having something on the screen! I will probably also interchange languages in my speech, not sure if your FH speaks spanish but thats also an option! Or you and your FH if he doesnt can maybe learn a sentence or two to thank her specifically im sure itll be awesome Smiley smile
  • Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That is so kind of you to think of doing that for her! my mother-in-law speaks spanish and french but very little english. She understands but is shy to speak back. She's working on her english so she will be able to chat with my family Smiley smile

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have not personally but I think hiring someone specifically would be really nice for her! Also depending on what you're doing during the reception (speeches and what not) if you're saying a blessing for the meal maybe have someone do it in English and Spanish just for her? I think that would be a sweet touch!

But as Leah said! Check schools in the area they may know more people! Or if you're on any "Buy and Sell" groups on facebook that's a great place to make a post "In search of!" I find here you're talking more directly to brides and grooms but on those groups they have a lot of vendors lurking to help too!

• Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Congratulations on your engagement! Welcome to the Wedding Wire Community!

I would suggest contacting one of the spanish speaking schools to find someone.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics