Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Anja
Newbie September 2021 Ontario

Help! So lost!

Anja, on March 31, 2019 at 09:41 Posted in DIY 0 8
Hey everyone! My fiance and I got engaged in Sept '18, planning the wedding for Sept 2020.

We really want to explore all options, DIY and full service weddings...but I don't know how, if that makes sense. Do any venues allow you to just rent the space? Has anyone done a DIY wedding that could help offer some advice? I would really appreciate it! This bride to be is a little overwhelmed!

8 Comments

Latest activity by Candace, on April 1, 2019 at 16:03
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    There are a lot of places that give you the space and make you do all the set up and tear down. There are also lots of places that will do everything for you.
    The best thing to do is just contact the venues you are interested in and inquire about what is included in their wedding package cost.
    One thing to keep in mind is when you are doing photos. We looked at a venue that required us to set up and tear down but we only had the space for 1.5 hours so our wedding party or family would have to set up while we got ready and then they would have to help tear down while we got photos done and we didn’t like that idea at all so if they do rent just the space make sure it’s for a reasonable amount of time! Good luck Smiley smile
  • Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would call places that would do full service like a best western or a hotel of some kind to get ideas. Then call places that aren't.

Things to keep in mind- if not full service. do these places include chairs/tables or a kitchen with all things needed. If not you would need to rent all of those things- cutlery, plates, cups, glasses. Figure out your budget as well.

• Alie
    Frequent user September 2019 Ontario
    Alie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You may have to call around. Sime venues are super helpful. Others not so much. We found our venue to be super helpful and that our venue is doing so much for us.
  • Anja
    Anja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hey Casey!

Ok thank you for that advice! I'm going to start emailing now!
  • Anja
    Anja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hey Robyn! Thank you for your comment! Yea thats exactly what we were looking for so that's good to hear that it wont be as hard to find as we thought!

I've definitely got a great decor and party favors pinterest board going, but I wasnt sure about venues.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease! We are wanting an outdoor wedding, simple, non traditional and figure it would be easiest if we set everything up ourselves
  • Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey Anja! Many venues will let you rent space, when I was looking for venues we found quite a few that let you bring in your own caterer etc.

When you say DIY wedding, what exactly did you want to take on? Some projects that are relatively easy are stationery and signs, centrepieces, and favors. I found a lot of ideas on pinterest and for martha stewart weddings as well.

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Start with the venues in your area. Go on their websites, send them an email and see what they include, how much it is to rent the space only etc.
    From there make a list or a chart of all the venues you have information from and compare the prices and all your info.
    This should be a good starting point for you. Many halls only rent the space and then you have to find all the other vendors.
  • Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’ve chosen to host our reception at a community hall. this is cost effective as we can bring in our own decor, food and alcohol.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics