Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

D
Beginner September 2023 Ontario

Help: Marriage License & Committment Ceremony

Denise, on July 27, 2023 at 16:35 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 4
Hello Brides to Be,
My fiance and I are getting married
Sept 9/23. My fiance is divorced and we live in Ontario. When applying for our wedding license we found out about an extra step due to his divorce being in the U.S. In this circumstance, we need to have a lawyer provide a Letter of Opinion to verify his divorce papers & then we send this to Office of the Regisrar of Ontario. Turn around time is 4 weeks if all goes well. Yikes!My question is, has anyone heard of a Committment Ceremony at a Wedding? It's supposed to be the same as a wedding ceremony but without paperwork to sign that day/not legally binding. That part is done afterwards once Marriage License is granted.Any insight is appreciated.

4 Comments

Latest activity by Mila, on July 28, 2023 at 20:13
  • Mila
    Frequent user October 2023 Ontario
    Mila ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My friend just got married on a Disney cruise. Once she learned about all the legalities they decided to make it a commitment ceremony instead and got legally married a month earlier. Everyone still called the commitment/ symbolic ceremony day on the cruise the wedding. It didn’t make a deference that they were already legally married.
  • Kate
    Featured August 2022 Ontario
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did a commitment ceremony, called it a celebration of love on the invites Smiley smile

• C
    VIP September 2023 Ontario
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My father had a commitment ceremony it was almost like a wedding, of course you can't do it in a church, but you can get someone to officiate unofficially and have a ceremony and reception.

Once everything is finalized you are married.

• Brittany
    Featured August 2023 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think you should go forward with the commitment ceremony.

In a lot of destination weddings like Mexico, Costa Rica, Cuba, DR, etc it is too much work to get it legally done in that country, instead 100s of people do a commitment/symbolic ceremony and then they do a quick court house to sign the legal papers in their own country. It is not uncommon at all. Best case scenario is you guys start the process now and do not have to worry about it because it comes in time for your wedding and worse case is you guys have a symbolic ceremony and sign the legal papers at a later date.

For example, my friend got married in Costa Rica last year and they did the commitment/symbolic ceremony there and 3 months later they did the legal one at the court house in Canada.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics