Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Melissa
Beginner September 2019 Ontario

Help! "adults only" but what about babies / infants?

Melissa, on December 30, 2018 at 10:27 Posted in Wedding reception 1 8

My fiance and I strongly believe in hosting an adults only wedding ceremony and reception (taking place at the same venue). I've already shared this with my only 1st cousin who has young children (under 6 years of age), and she is supportive.

However, there has been a baby boom in our friend group - right now (as far as we know), there would be 8 infants ranging from 3-10 months (all first-born babes, and a few will even be of my bridal party). We are super excited for all our friends but really hadn't expected this boom (one or two I think would have been manageable, but 8+ is definitely unanticipated).

Is there a typical infant age-range where an invitation is expected? (ex. infants under 3 months or 6 months?) And if so, how easily can we draw the line between some infants and others?

Any experience or advice would be greatly appreciated. Help!!

8 Comments

Latest activity by Melissa, on January 4, 2019 at 10:12
  • Melissa
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Totally agree, and for my bridesmaids who are currently pregnant, I think they're looking forward to the wedding being likely their first "night out" post welcoming their new additions to the fam!

I think at the very least, as we have some private space in the venue (large bridal suite/prep area with it's own bathroom), I may let the new moms know that if they do need to pump (if they are at that stage) and/or want some private space we can make that available for them.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yep! 100% and again honestly I think most parents would love the night off! I have already had a few friends come to me about our wedding stoked to give the kids to Grandma for a night and party with us!

• Melissa
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks so much to all for your comments and suggestions!

I totally agree with many of your thoughts and comments and while not a mom, can understand that every situation is different. It's probably tough to really plan for the wedding night right now as not all of the babies have been born yet.

I think most, if not all, of the babes-to-be do have family close by who can watch them that evening and at least be able to takeover primary caregiving duties for a few hours (one of the moms/bridesmaids who will be coming in from out of country already has an offer from another bridesmaids mom - they're very close - to watch both babies that evening).

I think we'll keep the language as "Adults only" (in some type of form) on the invites and website, etc. and have the one-on-one conversations ahead of the wedding once all the babes have arrived to see how the moms are doing/feeling about the evening.

Thanks again!!! Smiley smile

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree with these ladies. All depends on the parents. My sister in law had a 8 month old when we went to a wedding this summer. She asked the bride and groom if it was ok to bring him and not the other 2 kids because she was still breastfeeding and they were totally fine with it.

We have put adults only right on the RSVP card. The only children that will be coming are close family ( our nieces and nephews that we see quite often)
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes! For sure the babysitter/designated baby soother, for sure. If some of your baby mamas are in the bridal party, they need a go-to person to watch any babies who fuss during key times (ceremony, speeches, etc)... they need to be there part of the action, so having a pre-assigned helper will allow for your closest friends not missing something big.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree with this - they probably want to be baby free as much as you do! However, if there ends up being a lot of them anyway, maybe look into hiring a caretaker for them just during the ceremony so you won't have any screaming coming from them that may interrupt the proceedings.

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This is a tough one. You can't expect because one girl is comfortable leaving a 3 month old with her mom, that the one with a 10 month old should too... I would also say breast feeding plays a role too, however, some moms may be able to pump and still have someone look after the baby for them.

Sometimes they are isolated from family too, so although they have friends around, they may not have trusted loved ones nearby to watch infants...

I'd go on a case-by-case basis, asking each new mom to do their best to be kid-free, for your sake and theirs (it's nice to have a night off and enjoy yourself)... however be understanding that each girl's circumstance will be different, and you may have a few small infants at the wedding.

Their are also some precautions you can take, regarding noise makers, carrier covers, etc, where some newborns will be able to sleep most of the time too (white noise and a black out cover can do wonders).

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it honestly depends on the parents! I know some are attached to their baby for the first few months and others would love an excuse to have a night away from the newborn for a little fun and a great meal!
    I would suggest keeping everything Adults Only and maybe speak to your few friends with super young babies personally to get their opinions? I'm sure most have a grandparent they can drop the kid off to for a few hours! Or maybe they will skip the ceremony and come for a couple hours at the reception to celebrate with you but still keep to their parent-ly duties!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics