Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Julia
Curious September 2020 Ontario

Help !

Julia, on June 19, 2018 at 15:48 Posted in Before the wedding 0 14
I have two years to go for my big day, but i cant stop looking at dresses and want to try some on so bad... when should i really start looking at dresses and is it to soon to buy one 2/ 1 year yearly??

14 Comments

Latest activity by Bianca, on June 24, 2018 at 18:17
  • Bianca
    Curious July 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Definitely not too early!! Go try some and enjoy the experience! I'm getting married July 2019 and just said Yes to the dress earlier this month. It's expected to be made by December and then alterations and such
  • Julia
    Julia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thank you guys for the help, i really needed it !

• Sydney
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Sydney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Definitely go try some on! I bought mine a year and a half before the wedding and I’m glad I did! They told me the dress would take 9 months to come in, but it ended up taking over a year, so I’m really glad I had the extra time!
  • Erin
    Super September 2019 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    No way! I bought my dress two years to the day of my wedding! It's never too early, just be prepared to go for it if you find The One! (And don't look any more after that!)
  • Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with some of the others. Definitely go and try some on, to help you get a sense of the style that you're looking for. I'd definitely wait until next June/July to purchase though. Often it can help if you find a particular designer or style and then even go onto the second-hand dress websites and see if yours pops up.

I purchased my dress from the salon and then a week later someone on one of the wedding facebook groups was selling my dress in the exact size I needed. I was disappointed, but I had a short engagement so wasn't able to wait.

• Clarissa
    Expert October 2018 Saskatchewan
    Clarissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If your dying to try dresses on then go to a shop and try some on. It can take awhile to narrow down the style of dress you like. If you find a particular dress you love you can always shop around if your open to a used or sample dress to save money or keep an eye out for the sample sale weekends.

Some designers take take a year for ordering dresses so if you have the time look sooner. But I would wait to buy a dress till you have some of the major details figured out (wedding venue, style or theme of wedding, budget).
  • Julia
    Julia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank You , Congrats to you as well!

yeah that's what i was thinking, i believe i'm just to excited and need to relax a little and let time do it job

i think 12 months before the wedding is recommend because it helps you make sure you want the dress you pick before its to late. it gives enough time to see all different types and allows you to one at the perfect time, not to late/ not to soon!

Thanks for the input!!! Smiley smile

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

First of all - Congratulations on the engagement!!

I am 15 months out from my wedding and I have just started looking at wedding magazines for dresses. With that being said, as much as I want to go dress browsing, I am worried that I may fall in love with one of the dresses out there right now and that the style will change drastically in the couple months.

In your spot; you've got quite the time before your wedding and you may end up liking the older dresses and wish you had started early - or you may end up wishing you didn't and wish you had the money to change your mind.

It's a catch 22 really

• Julia
    Julia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah i understand what you mean, thanks for the feedback !

• Julia
    Julia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Smiley laugh thanks for the help, that's so true, what happens if i fall in love with the dress i try on now so early and can't seem to like another closer to the date, that's why I'm scared to go try some on now you know?

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wouldn't buy anything til you need to (8-12 months out), but you might want to try on silhouettes... I ended up going in a totally different direction, and I think if I'd gone for my big shopping trip after building up one look in my head, I'd have been really disappointed/confused with going with something different.

• Julia
    Julia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yeah i agree, thank you !

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Dresses typically need 10-12 months to be ordered in and altered! So no less than 1 year I would start for sure!

I got my dress in Feb of this year and my wedding is May of next year! So 14 months in advance? I think it was perfect timing but if you want to start looking now I say GO FOR IT!

Lets be real most of us have been watching say yes to the dress for years before we were even engaged and thinking about our own dream dresses haha!

• Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think there's anything wrong with looking at and/or trying on a dress this early to get an idea of what looks good on you. I think it's too early to buy a dress given you have two years to go, but I imagine having a style in mind this far in advance will make the dress shopping experience less stressful closer to your wedding.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics