Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Taylor
Frequent user June 2018 Ontario

Head table or no?

Taylor, on May 7, 2018 at 08:42 Posted in Wedding reception 0 26
We are debating whether we should have a head table with our bridesmaids and groomsmen or my fiancé and I sit with my parents, his dad, dads GF, my brother and his step brother.
My fiancé has two other brothers that are his groomsmen and they are married with kids, this way they can sit with their families. I am not sure what we should do.

26 Comments

Latest activity by Kay, on May 17, 2018 at 11:32
  • Kay
    Devoted September 2018 Nova Scotia
    Kay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are having a super small wedding, but even if it was a little larger, I think we'd still do our tables the same way. We are just having one really long table, "Family style" as I like to call it. hah! Just a fantastic way to sit with everybody you care about. Smiley smile

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We think that we will do a round table in the middle for FH and I. Then do a rectangle table on each side so the wedding parties significant others can sit at the head table too. Across from their partner. Haha. I don’t know if it has a name, but like this but chairs on the opposite side of rectangle tables as well

Head table or no? 1
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am also doing a sweetheart table. I want some space for just me and my new husband to be by ourselves... Plus we have a lopsided bridal party, and all have significant others not in the bridal party, so we are doing 3 'bridal party' tables, with their S.O.'s, so they can sit together.

• Mandi
    Curious April 2020 Alberta
    Mandi ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am planning on just doing a Sweetheart Table with my Fiance, my 11 year old son (no other father figure in the picture) and myself. My wedding party all has husbands and kids, so would like them to enjoy the day a bit with their families as we are taking enough of their time away from them for ceremony, pictures etc.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Keep it simple to a sweetheart table for 2. Its making it complicated to have so many people and some others not being seated with their other half. Avoid all that.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We have FH's sister who has kids, and eventhough we haven't asked our bridal party yet, but most will have a significant other, so we're opting for just a sweetheart table.

• Maria
    Beginner October 2018 Ontario
    Maria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are planning on using a head table. I think a head table is fun, and I think it will look nice for pictures, and work well with toasts…

• Jane
    Frequent user July 2018 British Columbia
    Jane ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We had a similar situation, we opted to do a sweetheart table and have the bridal parties mixed in with the guests, since half of them are siblings with significant others. Its shaping up to be a good move.
  • Jackie
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Jackie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Why don’t you just do a head table with the bride and groom and everyone else can sit with their families?
  • Mira
    Curious July 2018 Ontario
    Mira ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re doing a sweetheart table as well - both our MOH and Best man have families with kids so they'll be sitting with them at their tables.
  • Melissa
    Frequent user November 2019 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was contemplating having a sweethearts table as well, our entire wedding party have spouses and in some cases kids as well. I don't know how I feel about splitting them up just so they can sit beside us with other groomsmen and bridesmaids they don't know, however, my FH doesn't feel the same and wants to keep it traditional.

• Marcia
    Super August 2018 Manitoba
    Marcia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing a sweetheart table at our wedding. And having our bridesmaids sit at one table, and our groomsmen sit on another table. Made it less complicated for us to plan and decided who sits where.

• Helen
    Frequent user September 2018 British Columbia
    Helen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're doing a SH table as our wedding party is from all over, don't know each other, and I would like them to sit with their spouses since they are spending the day with us. I'm not a big fan of the long head table anyhow, I want a small intimate table with just him and I.

We are doing harvest tables,, so the bridal party table is right in front of us, and their bouquets will go on that one and the one behind it.

• Lor
    Frequent user August 2018 Ontario
    Lor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're doing a sweetheart table so that our party can be with their significant others, and to mingle and get to know other people. They would have already spent enough time with us that i would rather everyone have a good time others. I was at a table when i was a bridesmaid and i hated that i didn't get to talk to anyone throughout dinner and couldn't chat with anyone. We're going to ensure that we leave a mason jar so that the Bridesmaids can put their bouquets at their table while they eat though.

• Lynnie
    WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina
    Lynnie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I always like it when the wedding party can sit with their dates! Their significant others have already spent the rest of the wedding day thus far on their own. Smiley shame

I'd recommend doing a sweetheart table for just the two of you, or doing an immediate family table like you mentioned! We sat at a normal table for our wedding with both of our parents and siblings and it worked out great!!

• Jocelyn
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Jocelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Go for a sweetheart table instead.
    :-)
  • Catherine
    Frequent user June 2018 Ontario
    Catherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We kept our wedding party small (two bridesmaids and a best man) so we’ll be sitting with them and their partners, who happen to be close friends themselves. We’re not having a traditional head table though: we’ll be sitting a normal round table smack in the middle of our other tables. We hope it will make things feel more relaxed and social that way (and our families will be at the tables right next to us). It definitely helps that we have a small wedding of 60 people, so only 8 tables altogether.
  • Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    No head table for us!
    Not sure what we’ll do but I like the idea of not having a sit where you want plan.
  • Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I love this idea and think we’ll be doing it too, if our guest numbers stay low
  • Mélanie
    Beginner June 2019 Quebec
    Mélanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re not doing a head table, in fact we have no assigned seating at all! We’re doing a buffet so it’s easier to get a way with it and we’re only 40-50 people. It’ll feel like a big family dinner and between each serving our guests can decide to change who they are sitting with as many times as they want! Not sure if this would work well with your format and family, but it’s something to consider (just imagine - no stress about the seating plan!)
  • Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Are you having a larger wedding or a small one? If it's a smaller wedding I would say go for it and sit with family! Otherwise I'd have a head table as to not make anybody mad. You could always just do a sweetheart table and just the two of you sit together in front of everybody.

• Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re doing a head table and some of our wedding party members are married with children so instead of getting the wedding party to dance together we’re going to let our wedding party chose to dance with their SO instead. They won’t sit with them for dinner but most of the SO’s and children will have other family/friends there. My MOH for example, her parents, brother and his wife and child are invited so her husband and children can sit with them for dinner.
  • Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We have a head table with our wedding party (so bridesmaids and groomsmen). I have also included their partners at our head table as well as I don't like the idea of separating them.

• Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We sat all the bridesmaids and groomsmen at our head table. Their significant others either sat together at a table if they didn't know anyone else or sat with their family at another table.

I've been to a wedding where my husband was a groomsman and I sat at a "significant others" table. I didn't mind. It is only for the dinner and then I could join my husband again anyway.

I think both of your set-ups work, you could do a sweetheart table too if you want to avoid it all!

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'd be worried about only having some family and not all family (siblings) up at the head table. If you want to keep it to bride/groom and parents (plus dads gf) and then the rest at regular tables.

I am personally having my bridal party! Any significant others of them or children will be sitting with other people at the regular tables and seems to be working okay for us!

My one bridesmaid has a son and he'll be sitting with his grandparents who are also invited as they are close family friends!

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You could also do a sweetheart table for just the two of you and then set up the rest of the tables based off that. Otherwise I would go with the second choice.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics