Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Newbie September 2018 Alberta

Guests

Suzanne, on July 5, 2018 at 23:47 Posted in WeddingWire 0 12
Hey everyone I'm new here and well I have a dilemma I was out to a friend's birthday party over the weekend and ran into 2 old friends I hardly talk to them anymore we were catching up and I was drinking wine and I accidently invited them to my wedding in the moment I was very excited and happy to see them, well I brought it up to my fiance and he got upset (honest I would be upset if the roles were reversed) we only have a limited amount of seats left and he didn't want it to be filled by just anyone (I totally understand) I guess now I'm trying to figure out how to let them know that I can't have anymore people or uninvite them I know before I get jumped on that I'm a complete idiot and completely dropped the ball I should have never just invited them now I'm trying to fix the situation my invitations have not been set out yet neither has save the date.

Can anyone please help me? I just need some advice on what to do I appreciate it thank you

12 Comments

Latest activity by Suzanne, on July 6, 2018 at 15:26
  • S
    Suzanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thank you all for the advice and responses I think I will be honest about the limit seating and and error on my end - of course my very apologetic self makes it even more awkward lol jeesh no more wine
  • S
    Suzanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Omg lol I was so over enthusiastic about my wedding I went on and on about it lol I cant imagine I just forgot about it. Though this would be a go to for me however my big mouth makes it hard for them to believe I just forgot - I am a total idiot thank you for the advice!! Smiley smile
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree with Tori! Haha... if you don't really ever talk to them anyways... how is it going to come up again? I think they would be more awkward pushing for an invite than you explaining you made a mistake.

I invited sort-of distant friends way back 6 months ago at a party, and I have never added their names to the list... also never been asked about it.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Haha this is too funny and also pretty realistic.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You can say about the numbers and the miscommunication about inviting them. They may be upset and then get over it. Overall, getting together after the wedding may be a good idea as to them hanging out with you in a bar or restaurant.
  • Maya
    Expert January 2019 Alberta
    Maya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would be honest with them and tell them you were really excited to see them and that was why you invited them. But when you checked with your fiancé the numbers didn’t work out and that you would have loved for them to be able to come, but it just won’t work out and maybe you can celebrate the wedding together with them another time. If they are overly offended then don’t worry, you haven’t been close for a while, but there is the chance they will be understanding and you could save the friendship.

I wouldn’t feel bad about it, things like that happen. My fiancé joked with his younger sister that she could be in the wedding party and that upset me because non of my siblings are in the wedding party and I had never agreed. His mom then asked me why she wasn’t sitting at the head table and I explained why and then in the ended I caved and said she could be because it was important to him. I am having lots of drama from her about picking her dress.

Good luck Smiley smile and remember it’s your day
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I second all of this!!

• Jennifer
    Frequent user February 2024 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I would totally do exactly this!! Don't feel bad girl, I love this idea. It's the easiest way out and who knows, maybe they won't remember either.
  • Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would say something about invites numbers, and that you weren't able to invite them after all. I love Tyanna's idea of inviting them over to something else afterwards to show you would still appreciate seeing them again.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Is it bad that I would just act clueless if they bring it up? Lol I would just ignore the fact that I told them that and send out the STD's and Invites like nothing happened. Then if/when they ask and maybe mention you saying that they are invited - be like "Oh my gosh! I can't believe that drunk me said that! I am sooooooo sorry but the list is completely full and there isn't any room! We should for sure get together to celebrate just the group of us though and catch up more!" and ya.... I don't care for conflict when I am the one in the wrong.... Do what you will with my take on the situation. Oh, and good luck! I'm sure whatever you do they will understand.

• Sarah
    Frequent user July 2020 Nova Scotia
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm sure you could tell them that you didn't realize you had filled your invite list already and that there are no spots available, I'm sure they would understand even if they are a little sad Smiley smile good luck!
  • Tyanna
    Super June 2019 British Columbia
    Tyanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Maybe you can say that there was a miscommunication about invite numbers, and while you dont have the room to host them at your wedding youd love to have then over for a bbq or something after the wedding to celebrate?

They may be disappointed but I think they will understand Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics