Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Siobhan
Beginner November 2021 Ontario

Guest Book - what's the point?

Siobhan, on August 16, 2019 at 11:31 Posted in Wedding reception 0 18
Hi brides,
I was wondering if anyone has gone without a guest book?
I was thinking about not having one as I really don't know what we would do with it after the wedding.
Anyone else felt this way?

18 Comments

Latest activity by Ashley, on August 26, 2019 at 15:32
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are not doing this. im having one of our engagement pictures and im going to have everyone sign the picture so we can hang it above our couch!

• Siobhan
    Beginner November 2021 Ontario
    Siobhan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you! This is what I was thinking too. I just want people to get into the party!

• Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We have scrapped the guestbook.

We're going to do something cool with all the cards we get instead and turn it into a guestbook of sorts.

We were actually just at a wedding last weekend and stood in line for 20 minutes going into the reception, just waiting for people to sign the guestbook. We don't want that. Dump your card in the box, and grab a drink!

• b.lisabeth
    Curious August 2020 Ontario
    b.lisabeth ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi Siobhan,

I totally agree! Guestbooks are a thing of the past. We are doing something creative with ours (thanks Pinterest!) where our seating chart doubles as a guestbook. As people arrive and check their table number, they can take a selfie with our instant-print camera, then swap their name out on the seating chart for their selfie. That way, we will end up with some cool photos of our guests, and they get to have fun using the camera and writing a little note on the photo Smiley smile

I think if you feel like you have to have one, try to do something fun and different. Otherwise, skip it! No one will really miss it in the end. Smiley smile

Guest Book - what's the point? 1
  • Sondra
    Frequent user August 2022 Ontario
    Sondra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are going with a globe that says "I was meant to travel the world with you" and having our guests sign it with metallic markers so it can double as home decor and a guestbook.

I don't have any clue on what to do with an actual guest book. I think it's really up to you if you feel like it's something you will want later in life or not. I'm extremely nostalgic so I know I will want something, and my FH and I are avid travellers so a globe works for us.

Follow your gut! Smiley smile

• Emily
    Expert September 2020 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    This was so helpful! I was thinking the same 😄
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We skipped this completely and it seems like no one missed it. We kept our seating chart sign as a reminder of who was at our wedding ☺️
  • K
    Expert September 2018 British Columbia
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We didn't want a guest book collecting dust on our shelves either, so we went with little wooden hearts that our guests signed and dropped into a frame. We then glued the hearts around a larger heart with our initials and wedding date in the frame. It's now hanging above our fireplace as a piece of art we can look at Smiley smile

• R
    Devoted November 2019 Quebec
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I didn't want one until I saw the puzzle piece guestbook. We plan on doing it and framing it and put it on our wall.

• D
    Frequent user June 2020 Saskatchewan
    Dawn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Im doing a guest log. After its signed it will be a bench to take your shoes off we will see every day. Friends doing jenga tiles people sign.
  • A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree - we'd never look at just a book with just a bunch of writing in it. Since our venue has a winery we're going to get a shadow box with our names and date printed on the glass and have people sign corks and drop them in. Like everyone else's ideas, it'll be a decorative piece in our house.

• Lisa
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are having the guests sign a piece of our giant yard jenga - then we will lacquer the pieces so the signatures stay intact and we will be reminded of our day and the lovely people that were there each time we play.

• Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Skipping the traditional book as well. Instead we are getting a canvas with a tree with leaves on it, the guests sign the leaves, and there are two little birds hanging from the tree. Which is super cute because his last name is "Bird". I know we will love to see this in hanging up in our home! But you could entirely skip this if you wanted to as well.

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did something we could hang in our house- they were our initals that we would hang in our room.

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    A physical book is becoming less common, many people like Kelsie said are doing things they can have in their house.
    We are doing a piece of live edge wood and having it personalized. Then we can hang it up after the wedding.
    Look into Pinterest if you kinda want to have one but not follow tradition. So many awesome options that can be used as a decoration in your house!
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're doing what Kelsie is doing - I felt like a book with well wishes and signatures would just collect dust over the years. Whereas a photobooth we can look back and see our guests! It's still a book, but also a photo album of everyone who came out!

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Felt the same way!

Of course that's why I'm not having the traditional "book" for people to sign. When would I ever open that up to see - yup, those are the people that I invited and that showed up?

Instead more and more people are having their "guest book" be like how Kelsie said - a Photo book, or a chair with signatures on it, or a piece of wood with their names that they can hang up in their house and see every day, etc.

For me and my FH we are leaning towards the night sky of the time and place we get married:

Guest Book - what's the point? 2

Like this ^

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You really don’t need one. I agree a book with some signatures in it, I wouldn’t do anything with.

However, I’m getting a photo book of me and my FH done and guests will sign messages around the photos! I like this better as we can flip through it and actually have things to look at versus just signature pages.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics