Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Ashley
Super June 2018 Alberta

Groom doesnt want me to see the suits?

Ashley, on October 11, 2017 at 12:06 Posted in Before the wedding 0 17

So my fiancé got a consult to get a custom dress shirt, vest, and jacket, since he's so long. He informs me that I'm not allowed to see it, and not allowed to help with the groomsmen either... idk about that.. I feel like he's not going to get a good color match to my dress. since my dress is ivory he can't get stark white. He said " well I don't get to see your dress till the day of" ... is that even a thing.. like for the bride not to see the groom ?

17 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on January 29, 2018 at 13:34
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Your FH is right about not seeing the suit. If you don't allow him to see your dress, he would want to have the same feeling so he can have his surprise look for you. I'm sure he got the ivory shirt to match you.

• Lesley
    Super September 2017 Manitoba
    Lesley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yes, I didn't get to see it either. LOL I thought it was cute that it was a surprise. I just had to confirm that it was indeed navy and he said it was. I gave him swatches which he didn't end up using but I would recommend that if you're planning to match the vests and ties with your girls. I was there to pick out the tie at least LOL

• Ashley
    Super June 2018 Alberta
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I don't as my dress is off the rack. That's why I wanted to go with him.

• Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think its kinda cute that he wants to keep it a surprise. I wouldnt worry about the different whites.
  • B
    Super August 2017 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hahaha do you have a swatch? I gave my husband a swatch
  • Ashley
    Super June 2018 Alberta
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Here's why I don't trust him to color match. He pointed out a shirt and asked if it was ivory and it was clearly a tan color. I don't think he gets it.

• Ashley
    Super June 2018 Alberta
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks Daphne!! This actually helps a lot!

• B
    Super August 2017 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yeah me and my husband did that. He wanted to show me. It I wanted it to be a surprise hahaha I fully trusted him
  • Daphne
    Super July 2017 British Columbia
    Daphne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would be fine with that and it’s only fair (he does have a point). If you want to make sure things match, why not give him samples of colors that are in the dresses (yours and bridesmaids), so he can pick what he wants as long as it doesn’t clash with those colors.
  • Ashley
    Super June 2018 Alberta
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks so much!! You've been a great help!

• Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I've seen that done with jackets, but it really depends on what you want and personal style. You could do either way. This is just from a quick google search. Try looking around online to see if anything strikes your fancy. Either way, the vest will likely offset the crispness of the white shirt.

17b73924cec3649525d0d2578864daf1--countr

• Ashley
    Super June 2018 Alberta
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Well were actually considering only doing vest and shirt. Cause were doing jeans for bottoms, to go with the whole rustic chic wedding vibe. Idk, do you think a jacket would look good with that? I'm unsure..

• Ap2017
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No problem! And consider how much of his shirt is covered by his jacket for pictures and the ceremony...you only see a tiny bit of it. After photos, the lights go down and dancing starts, so even without a jacket, you wouldn't be able to tell then either Smiley smile

• Ashley
    Super June 2018 Alberta
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks Erin! I'm going to see if he can get a fabric sample of the shirts and everything so I can see if its going to match well with everything else.

• Ashley
    Super June 2018 Alberta
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks!! I'm hoping they turn out looking fine.

• Ap2017
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wouldn't worry too much either. My husband wore a white shirt and I wore ivory and it looked fine. You can always ask him to tell the retailer doing his suits that you're wearing ivory and ask them to choose shirts accordingly. Most places ask that information anyhow to plan with colour coordination.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Don't worry about the white shirts. They look fine in pictures with ivory dresses (I wore ivory and my husband and groomsmen wore white shirts). Maybe ask if you can be consulted on colours? I think it is nice that there is an element of surprise for both of you instead of just him.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics