Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Megan
Curious July 2020 British Columbia

Grieving

Megan, on June 27, 2020 at 04:32 Posted in WeddingWire 0 5

So our original wedding date was going to be august 2nd

then we rescheduled to July 24 2021 with the plan to elope this year on July 24th

I've found recently I've really been grieving the fact that we wont be having our wedding this year, and how we were supposed to be doing it all this year. My FH is trying to be helpful by reinforcing that we are going to be able to do it all next year, but I still cant get over these waves of grief and sadness.

5 Comments

Latest activity by Ashley, on June 28, 2020 at 15:11
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I completely feel you. ive been crying non stop. we had everything done since dec 2019 so this year was suppose to just be just waiting for the big day, which was suppose to be aug 8 and now im scrambling to get a new date and contact all my vendors. ugh such a pain. its so depressing.

• Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I completely understand this - I feel like I’ve been going through all the steps of grief with postponing.

I agree with what the other ladies have said below! It’s normal; be kind to yourself and when your ready find ways to change the narrative so there is some silver lining in this all.
    I don’t think any recent brides have ever had to deal with this situation so it’s all uncharted and scary territory.
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda Online ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it's totally normal to feel this way. I'm feeling the same way myself at times. Our wedding was supposed to be August 8 but have postponed until August 7 2021. We've had August 8 set in stone for 2 and a half years as soon as we got engaged. Where we're getting married, I've been dreaming of getting married their since I was a little girl. And to have it taken from us just like that it definitely has had me bitter sad and angry at times.

But I also look on the bright side. I'm still going to have my dream wedding, just a year later. If we hadn't postponed liked we did, not all of my family members would be able to attend and I think that was one of the reasons besides this virus, we decided to postpone. I know next year we'll hopefully be able to have ll of our family and friends their to celebrate with us. And next year will be bigger and better than ever!

• K
    Devoted August 2021 Nova Scotia
    Kl ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Agreed. What you're feeling is completely natural. Let it out. There are countless "would-be" 2020 brides and grooms on WeddingWire (I'm one of them) and I'm confident we can all relate. We got a raw deal and it really sucks! Like Amelia said, the best thing you can do right now is to be kind to yourself and try to find a silver lining--as difficult as it may be. Right now, I would focus on making your July 24 elopement as special as possible. Treat yourself. Browse some of the recent "just married" posts here on WW to ignite some excitement and inspiration. So many couples have pulled off absolutely beautiful days despite all of this craziness. You're still getting married in less than a month and that's freaking amazing! And then, after your legal ceremony has come and passed, you'll still have the reception and related festivities to refine and look forward to next summer. It will be here before you know it, though it may not feel like it now. I'm constantly telling myself this.

And whenever you need a pep talk, or just to vent, we'll be here for you!

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it's very normal to feel the way you do. Most of us have planned our wedding days for months or years but we've dreamed about them in some way since we were little kids.

Let yourself take time to grieve. It may help to do something special on the original date this year to mark how special the day is. Maybe a little trip, a romantic dinner, or a date night in. This way you can acknowledge the day and celebrate it a bit while hopefully putting a positive spin on it. And something small to plan for this year might take your mind off the negatives a little bit.
    A lot of people have found new positives in delaying their weddings. I've heard some couples can now afford the fancy decor that was out of budget before, or they decided to splurge on their honeymoon because they have extra time to save. I hope there is a little silver lining in there somewhere for you!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics