Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Vanny
Frequent user July 2021 Ontario

Gravitating Towards Plan B Wedding

Vanny, on December 22, 2020 at 12:25 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 6

Hey guys! Our wedding got postponed to next summer and I don't know if it's just COVID blues, but lately this year I've just been losing the spark and magic of having the wedding we visioned and want to be married already, start a family and move on with our lives, and especially just save our money. The uncertainty of everything happening with COVID even for next year is just really distasteful and we're over it. We're leaning more towards just having a super super intimate ceremony with our officiant, parents, nieces, and our bridal party and are thinking of having a nice dinner afterwards. (HOPEFULLY things will lift next year and there won't be back and forth lockdowns and restrictions and we can all dine in). We will most likely send out emails or calls and letters informing our original guestlist of our plan

Things are still up in the air, but I'm really gravitating towards our Plan B

What are good ways to let our guests know in the hopes of them being understanding?

Also for vendors if we have to cancel, how do we tell them? We already anticipate taking the loss for deposits that we put in

Thank you! XOXO

6 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on January 13, 2021 at 12:54
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

A simple postcard to let your guest know Covid update has changed plans for your day and will notify of future date plans. They will be understand due to the situation and times. At the same time, keeping them safe and in good health is also a good security.

As for Vendors, you can let them know you want to cancel and ask if where your contract timing is for refunds. Your contract also does have it writing so your aware. Alternatively, you can have your vendors services can come out for the intimate wedding knowing you have paid them.

Back up plans are always good to have in the case of your original plan not going through.

• Vanny
    Vanny ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hey girl! I'm sorry that people were getting offended. Hopefully it caused no strain or arguments with anyone! Honestly during these times, people have to be understanding! At the end of the day, it's ultimately what you and your fiancé choose anyways and what's best / preferred. There's always going to be naysayers.

I like that quote that you said ! I might use it LOL

I get that people will be hurt, but honestly this year we've done a lot of thinking and we've realized how people really are and how much they don't care, so.. F it LOL. Even before COVID I originally didn't want my dad's side of the family there because they're so fake

And that's exactly how we want to do it ! Us, officiant, parents, siblings, nieces, bridal party. That's it. Have a lovely ceremony and a nice dinner afterwards

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think people would be super understanding. "we couldn't wait another moment to start our forever together! We look forward to celebrating with you when the world is a little more normal. "

A few people who can't be there will be hurt, but you can't make everyone happy. If you do "invite" people be very careful with how you select them. We had only parents (mine, his are stateside) his siblings and our wedding party: no invitations, but still some hurt feelings. His grandfather was very offended (but is estranged and honestly hasn't spoken to either of us in 8+ years) and a few of my aunts and uncles were hurt but they understood once we talked to them. Most people were very understanding and supportive of our choice!
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No worries and good luck!

• Vanny
    Vanny ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hey Hank! Yes! You get it Smiley smile at this point, I don't even care about the materialism aspect of the wedding. Apart from my dress LOL. I will ROCK my dress. And as glamourous as a wedding will be, it's the unshakeable love my future hubby and I have Smiley smile

We don't even want to host anything virtual lol, honestly we've just done a lot of thinking, and people's true colours have shown this year, my anxiety will definitely get the best of me, and we just don't want fake people at our wedding. And we're putting all our money in it for what? We just really want it to be VERY intimate at this point.

Photography and makeup we are definitely keeping and yes that's a good idea. Because there is some decor that I will want so we will for sure be negotiating with our vendor! Smiley smile

Thanks a lot Hank! Happy Holidays

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey Vanny,

First off, sucks that you couldn't have the wedding as you originally intended BUT I'm glad you're able to see past the typical materialism of the wedding industry and celebrate under the restrictions on your own terms.

In terms of messaging your guests, pretty much what you wrote is spot on. I think most people are just over it and even if someone is upset for being uninvited, I'm sure they'll understand. Are you looking to host a virtual option? If so, that's a great way for friends and family who can't be there to feel like they're a part of it.

What kind of vendors have you paid? If it's photography and makeup, you can likely still use them. For others like decor, maybe see if you can downsize your package so that you're only using what the deposit costs.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics