Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Crystal
Newbie October 2018 New Brunswick

Gratuity on table wine?

Crystal, on September 25, 2018 at 11:23 Posted in Wedding reception 0 11
Hi all!
My wedding is coming up so soon and I’ve been thinking about tipping at the reception.
We’re doing two bottles of wine on each table plus a toonie bar. Should we be tipping on the table wine and how much is appropriate?
We’ll likely too close to 20% on our portion of the toonie bar and assume that guests also tipped (a lot of people in the service industry).
The venue doesn’t have any policies on tipping, it is totally up to us.
Thanks for your help Smiley smile

11 Comments

Latest activity by Bianca, on September 25, 2018 at 21:06
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree with Brittany that if they're just putting the bottles out there, you should tip the bartenders for their time, not for the amount of the wine bill (especially since they're esientially just placing them on the tables and that's it).

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My venue charges an automatic 15% gratuity on all food and beverage purchase... If you are providing your own liquor, and the wine is not being served at all by the servers, then I would just add a little bit to their regular tip for service, for placing and removing the bottles (if they are doing so).

• E
    Expert December 2018 Ontario
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Then again like others have suggested just tip a percentage of the entire bill.
  • Crystal
    Crystal ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    They are charging 1.6x the price of the wine
  • E
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Are you being charged a corkage fee?
  • Crystal
    Crystal ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    So let me clarify, our venue does not provide food or decor. It is a building with a bar essentially. I am already tipping the food people 20% as per our contract. The venue itself does not have a policy on tipping. I do plan to tip on the service for the toonie bar but essentially they are just setting the open bottles on the tables. (They might come around a do refills but I’m unsure) but tipping an extra 100 dollars on top of 500 dollars worth of table wine seems a bit much to me or am I wrong?
    Thanks guys!
  • Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If your venue is providing your wine. then you don't need to do a separate tip for it. just the tip that you would be giving your hall.

• Clarissa
    Expert October 2018 Saskatchewan
    Clarissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would honestly just look at it as a blanket gratuity on your total venue bill. Ours will include wine, food, bar, etc so we are doing one gratuity that will cover everything. It’s easiest for us and it’s what the venue already includes in the contract (so check yours because most venues with food and bar already include this now).
  • E
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think you may be over complicating things. Most venues charge a % of the final bill as a gratuity (I’ve seen a range of 15%-18%). I would just do something similar. Decide on a % and just pay that on the entire bill.
  • Crystal
    Crystal ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We’re choosing the table wine this week, There’s a mark up of 1.6 so it depends on how many bottles but I get to decide that so I’ll have a rough idea.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think you need to tip on the table wine. Whatever you tip your venue at the end of the night for the servers should be suffice. Do you already know what your total bill will be or does this vary on the amount of table wine consumed?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics