Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Taylor
Frequent user June 2018 Ontario

Gifts

Taylor, on March 12, 2018 at 16:09 Posted in Before the wedding 0 11

Hi, we did not do a wedding registry but now that we have sent out invitations, people ask us if we have one. What is the best response to give in this situation? We didn't do one because we have already lived in our house for over a year and basically have what we need. We also didn't want to pressure people to get us a gift or certain gifts. If someone wants to give us something, I prefer a cash gift or gift card but I don't know how to say that without sounding greedy or rude or anything

Any advice?

11 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on March 16, 2018 at 14:51
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Monetary gifts or gifts cab do since you don't need anything for the home. You can put the funds towards a honeymoon later on.
  • Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We still did a registry for gifts for those who wanted to buy a gift rather than money. We chose items that we wanted to upgrade as we already had everything we needed in our home.

• Emma
    Beginner October 2019 Ontario
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My fiancé and I just set our date and both his family and mine agree cash and gift cards. That way it offsets the cost and we can use to our honeymoon!
  • Rekramer
    Expert November 2018 Ontario
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

People can choose to give you gift cards or cash. With cash, honeyfund charges a portion if they actually do it through the site, so my understanding is people normally check it off on the site that they're going to give you cash or cheques when they see you, and then they just bring the cash or cheques.

• K
    Expert September 2018 British Columbia
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Does honeyfund actually give you the cash, or is it giftcards to use with their partners? I was trying to figure this out the other day... if it's giftcards only, where do I find the list of partners I can use them with?

• Rekramer
    Expert November 2018 Ontario
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Consider registering on a site like honeyfund, it lets guests earmark their gifts for specific spends but still give you cash.
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I posted this message on our wedding website, if you already have a house it wouldn't apply but you could put what you would use the money for if there is something specific or just let them know that it would help to pay off the wedding

Gifts 1
  • Renee
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Renee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We will put monetary gifts preferred on our invitations. Just tell them that you aren't in need of anything but if they really want to get something they could put the money they would spend on a gift into a card. Ok that's not the best wording but something along those lines lol
  • Jason
    Curious September 2018 Alberta
    Jason ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are in the same boat - we have everything we need. We would prefer gifts of money to help out with the honeymoon. We've decided to depend on word of mouth rather than straight out asking.

• Ariane
    Newbie August 2018 British Columbia
    Ariane ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

There is nothing greedy or rude about asking for money. Just tell everyone that have asked that instead of having a gift registry you would prefer receiving money instead of gifts because you have what you need for your home already. This is what my fiance and I will be doing. That way we can purchase something we want, or put it towards our wedding.

Good luck!

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You could tell them that since you’ve lived together for a while, you chose not to register for anything and are open to other types of gifts. And hope they get the point from that, hopefully they don’t persist.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics