Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Beginner July 2019 Ontario

Gift registry - yes or no?

Kristine, on March 19, 2019 at 08:20 Posted in Before the wedding 0 15

Hi everyone,

I would just like to ask what your thoughts are with gift registry. Is this required? I've only had a couple of people ask about gift registry. We were not thinking of doing a gift registry since me and my fiance live together and thus don't really need any new home stuff. However, is this something that we should be doing to provide options to guests? We're just really struggling what to include in a gift registry if we were to do one.

Thanks a lot in advance for your help!

15 Comments

Latest activity by Kristen, on July 4, 2019 at 18:25
  • Kristen
    Beginner September 2019 Ontario
    Kristen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We did a registry because it seemed customary and some ppl were asking especially if you are having a bridal shower people want to see you opening gifts and not envelops. We felt rude saying we just want money but let’s face it weddings are ridiculously expensive these days even when you try and be modest. My fiancé and I have been living together for 3 years, two of which in our own home so we have everything, but we were able to find some things we could use or upgrade, like nice bedding, towels, etc.
  • M
    Curious January 2020 Ontario
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

One thing to keep in mind - some people will just insist on purchasing physical gifts - registries may help in preventing you from getting something you don't want .... or 4 different toasters.

• Chere-Lee
    Frequent user October 2020 Ontario
    Chere-Lee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Perfect! Thank you!

Also, I love your wedding date! It is my birthday!! Smiley smile

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Certainly!! Here it is :

The most important thing is to have you with us on our special day.

No gifts are needed or expected, however we have been asked what we need or would like and, if you do wish to give us something, a little cash towards our first house would be very much appreciated.

• Chere-Lee
    Frequent user October 2020 Ontario
    Chere-Lee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi Valerie, kindly share your blurb. I have been searching for a blurb to use that doesn't sound like "please give us money!!". Thank you!
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You don't need to register at all. Once you have everything in your home, keeping 2 of everything will just make more space to store items.

I know its something you may not want to do or feel to go this route. Donation to your charity as guests can give themselves or by giving money to you in a card.

Monetary gifts if you would like to start a new goal for home projects, honeymoon or anything you two feel is needed.

• DrB
    Frequent user August 2018 Ontario
    DrB ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Definitely not required, but you may have guests that prefer to give a physical gift and it’s a good idea to have one for a shower. Before we got married, my husband and I lived together for several years (mostly as poor students)- most people have at least some things they could use an upgrade on. We had nice towels, sheets, kitchen appliances and a few bigger ticket items like new pots and pans, vacuum etc. It’s nice even to have one so people who are going off-registry for gifts get an idea of colours and things that you like.
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We aren't doing a gift registry, since FH and I have lived together for 2 years this April!

If anyone asks, we'll tell them that we don't have one and they can go from there. Most of our generation will assume we want cash gifts while our older relatives might still gift physical gifts.

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We aren’t doing a gift registry either, since we’ve been living together for quite some time.
    that being said, we’re not assuming that guests will automatically know that we’d prefer cash, so we’ve included a quick blurb on our wedding website that a gift of money would be appreciated, if they choose to give us something.
  • Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Whether or not you want to have a gift registry, it is definitely something that is up to you - not "required" at all. If you and your FH don't live together, I'd probably ski it, and if people ask, you could just simply say "we don't have one" and let them decide how they want to proceed in terms of gifts. My FH and I don't live together, but we aren't having a gift registry either. The set-up was just another task, when there is already so much on our plate with wedding planning, work, and family obligations.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Do you and your FS already live together? If you do, then a registry might not be for you. You might feel compelled to register for things that you don’t really want/need in order to fill up the registry.

My mom insisted that I register for my shower, and I have approximately 10 items on there... and that’s it! FH and I have been living together for nearly 6 years, so we don’t need anything. PLUS, I enjoy living my life on the minimalist side of things, so a registry just seems wasteful.

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It all honestly comes down to you and your FH's needs. Like you, I have lived with my FH for 3 years now and we have basically everything we need. I didn't feel like I needed to do a registry, and if I did, it would only be to "upgrade" the items that I already have.

Of course I have gotten some negative responses to this from the other generation who are used to buying gifts, but the way I look at it, if someone really wants to buy you something, they will.

• Meghan
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We aren't doing a gift registry either for the same reasons. Like Amelia said, people will likely assume cash gifts are preferred if you don't do a registry. Though if you feel like you want to offer something to the guests, you could always do a honeymoon registry Smiley smile

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would say you don't need one and for those who ask you can explain that you aren't having a wedding shower as you and your FH have lived together for some time now and don't have anything to put on the list.

At the same time - most people I know have a wedding shower even if they have lived together for years and have kids together! People still could always use an upgrade on things or at very least GC's to their store of choice!

• A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiance and I aren't doing a gift registry either since we live together. I think it's becoming much more common to not do one. If you don't specify a registry, guests will generally assume cash gifts are preferred.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics