Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Megan
Beginner October 2019 Ontario

Getting ready before the wedding- Advice!

Megan, on January 2, 2019 at 09:53 Posted in Before the wedding 0 7
I am a bit conflicted on where to get my hair and makeup done, and where to get dressed. The venue doesn’t have a bridal suite to get ready in, it is more of just a small holding place for the bride before the ceremony. I have the hotel room booked for the wedding night but should I book it for the night before as well to get ready there? (Ceremony is at 4pm and check in time is 4pm so I’d have to book the night before). And in that case it would be my mom and I staying in the suite that is supposed to be for my new husband and I on our wedding night, is that weird? Or do I try to go to salons the morning of for hair and makeup? Do I get them to come to my home? Not sure what would work best to make things go smoothly. I’d like to hear from other brides to know how they arranged it all! Thanks 🙏

7 Comments

Latest activity by Rachel-Anne, on September 12, 2019 at 09:46
  • Rachel-Anne
    Curious September 2020 Ontario
    Rachel-Anne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm super conflicted about this too. I'm going to lurk your thread for advice Smiley smile

• Nikki
    Curious October 2019 Ontario
    Nikki ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree, definitely whatever you feel more comfortable with! For us, the groomsmen will be getting ready at the hotel in a suite. We're getting one suite for the night before where he can stay and use to get ready with his friends, then a second suite for our wedding night (that way we don't have to worry about them leaving their stuff everywhere). The ladies will be getting ready at my dad's house and we're having our hairdresser come there. I thought about renting out chairs at a salon but thought it would be more relaxing to have everything at the house so we don't have to travel.

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

There is no right or wrong answer for this, and it's 100% where you feel comfortable. No, I don't think it's weird for you to have your hotel room/bridal suite be the same as your room for the wedding night, however you could also request one room for the first night, and go to the "newlywed room" for the wedding night... however that means you only get the 'other room' til 'late check out' time, which is usually noon or 1pm. I'd suggest just keeping 1 room for 2 nights, and then you have a space the whole time.

What I'm doing is: the hotel close to the venue, where the groomsmen have booked for after the wedding, is going to be a 2 night stay, as most of them live an hour plus from the venue, and we have the rehearsal Friday night, and then getting up to get ready on the Saturday morning.

My bridesmaids and I are staying at a hotel near my dad's place, a little further out. We have 2 rooms for the Friday night (one for me and 1 bridesmaid, and one for the other 2), then in the morning we will all migrate to the larger room to get ready. That room is booked for 2 nights, so we have it all day, plus my sisters are staying there after the wedding (one's from out of town).

My FH and I have a totally separate suite booked for the wedding night, because we've been gifted a room at the Fairmont at the airport (we leave for our honeymoon the following morning).

The #1 thing I suggest is just to make sure you have space (depending on the # of people getting ready), and that there's a good source of light... preferably natural light, but at the very least not a dark room... if you're taking photos getting ready, it's more flattering to be in natural light than relying on flash!

Best of luck!

• Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You can do whatever you choose.

for us. I didn't want to be getting ready or stay at my house the night before the wedding. (FH and I wanted to the surprise wedding wise). so I am getting a hotel suite for the night before. and that way the girls can all get ready together. we have hair and makeup coming to us.

my best friend may stay with me the night before. I don't care about that. don't find it weird at all.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

What ever works for you best! Remember you will likely need quite a bit of space!

I booked out hotel the night before (honeymoon suite which has 3 huge rooms in the suite) so my team and I will be getting ready in the hotel suite!

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    When my step mom and dad got married she stayed at the hotel the night before the wedding. We all met at the hair salon to get our hair done and then went back to the hotel room to get ready. So I don’t think using the same room is weird at all
    Like Tori said you can sleep at someone’s house and then use the hotel room to get ready in before hand! Sometimes they offer early check in
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

First of all - good wedding date choice Smiley tongue

As for getting ready - I personally have my venue for the weekend so we are getting ready there (unless I find a hair salon nearby). For you though, if it's in the city or close to where you are by 30 minutes or so then I would say to pick a house that has the best lighting out of you and your family/ bridal party and go with that as your get ready place. No point in paying more money for a room that isn't that big and may or may not have everything that you need

Plus you could always have a sleepover with your girls at your house or whichever one works best and wake up and get ready together!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics