Skip to main content
Frequent user June 2023 British Columbia

Getting married at City Hall but having a ceremony

Lindsay, on April 13, 2022 at 00:13 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 6
Hi everyone!

I have a question, if my fiancé and I want to get married at city hall and still want a ceremony, how would I find someone that isn’t an officiant and is willing to lead the ceremony without the marriage certificate? Would it be a family member or could I hire a professional to “marry” us?


Latest activity by Sinead, on April 18, 2022 at 21:55
  • Sinead
    Newbie October 2022 Ontario
    Sinead ·
    • Dispute

    We're doing the same thing and our emcee is going to "marry us" before the rest of the people attending our reception.

    • Reply
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute

    If you two are legally married and still want to have a ceremony for your family you can have anyone perform the ceremony.

    • Reply
  • Hailey
    Featured June 2022 British Columbia
    Hailey ·
    • Dispute
    You could have anyone be the officiant if you are already legally married. We were going to go that route but decided it didn't cost that much to have an actual officiant come in and marry us.
    • Reply
  • Malyssa
    Featured October 2022 Alberta
    Malyssa ·
    • Dispute

    My friend had this dad "marry" them as they had officially gotten married else where so was really just for show.

    I would ask a family member of close friend to do it, so its still has some personal touches to it.

    Also, be sure to look into your local laws. I know where I live you cant just go to city hall to get married.

    • Reply
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute

    I guess you can hire an actor if you want all your friends and family to be in the audience as witnesses to the ceremony. Otherwise, you can pretty much have anyone close to you "perform" the ceremony.

    • Reply
  • Vinod
    Featured August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    The unofficial Officiant can be a family member to marry you both without the marriage license. You can a friend to take the Officiant's place.
    • Reply

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

ReCaptcha Verification failed. Please try again.

Related articles


WeddingWire Article Topics