Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Fiona
Beginner March 2020 Ontario

General question

Fiona, on July 25, 2019 at 15:15 Posted in Before the wedding 0 21
My sister in law is having her bridal shower in a few weeks and she did not register and asked for money only 🙄 I am also a bridemaid in her wedding (and it hasn't been cheap)
I am planning a wedding of my own so funds are tight right now.
I am not sure how much money to give for the shower... If I was getting her a gift I probably would have spend about $50

21 Comments

Latest activity by Ashley, on September 12, 2019 at 16:56
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Honestly do what you can afford. being in a wedding is expensive on its own!

• Emily
    Expert September 2020 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If you’re crafty you could also make something personalized and save some money ☺️
  • Julie
    Frequent user September 2019 Ontario
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    50$ is fair and you can some pretty cool stuff ! Good luck in your search !
  • Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Gift cards for Home Depot is a great idea! My fiancé would love that too
  • K
    Frequent user September 2022 Ontario
    Katrine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    $50 is more than enough since you are standing and paying for other things.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

As a bridesmaid helping out with the pre events of the wedding, its fair to give $50 on your part since you have spent the cost of what is expected to get yourself so far.

• Lacey
    Beginner August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Lacey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I didn’t register for my bridal shower as I also
    hoped most people would just give cash or a GC. I did receive a lot of lovely physical gifts but I also got a few cheques, visa gift cards and straight up cash. My fiancé and I also already live together and most people are aware that we would love to upgrade our kitchen and living room furniture as well as eventually finish our basement. So I don’t think people were too concerned with simply giving money!
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would do a $50 gift card for a store you know she loves! That way it's a little more personal vs. just cash.

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have never been to a bridal shower where it was a cash only- this seems so awquard! If you know she needs something I would just spend and get her the amount you can afford in an gift. I did that for wedding too- it was 100 value but didn't cost me that

• Miav
    Devoted September 2020 Alberta
    Miav ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would have give 50 too! Smiley smile

• Sam
    Curious October 2020 Ontario
    Sam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think 'asking' for cash may be a little tacky. I don't plan on registering as FH and I already own our own home and don't need much. I was just not going to say anything about gifts, and if anyone asks tell them gifts are not necessary but if they would like to get us something we would appreciate a Home Depot gift card or cash. I dont know.. is that tacky? I don't think I would be offended if someone said that to me..

• Fiona
    Fiona ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's a great idea. I also live with my FH and have for three years now so we don't need much either. We are planning on buying a condo next year so asking for new upgraded this is an awesome idea. And you can never go wrong with gift cards !!
  • Fiona
    Fiona ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    😊😊😊😊😊
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I have now lived with my FH for a year and we have mostly everything - so I completely get where they are coming from - I would have asked for straight up cash if I could too. What I did was register for items I want to upgrade and we are asking for GC to Home Depot for the FH Smiley tongue I was also told to expect gifts that weren't on the registry no matter what though so I assume she is aware she will probably get some regardless of what they asked for.

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would only put as much in the envelope as you would purchase a gift for. She should appreciate that you listened to what she asked for.
  • Fiona
    Fiona ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yea I was thinking $50 too. Her and her fiance live together and already have everything they need which is way she has asked for monetary gifts only.. I think a GC is a good idea Smiley smile
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

$50 is what I spend on wedding shower gifts so that is fine. I would make it a GC though... that way it's used for what a shower is meant for - furnishing a home! Very faux pas to have a shower and only ask for cash.... I would just pick something out or get a GC to BB&B or something. Not cash though...

• DrB
    Frequent user August 2018 Ontario
    DrB ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Asking for money at a shower is generally viewed as a faux pas- it is supposed to be a gift giving event- if it was me, requests be damned- I would pick out something nice from home sense and call it a day.

The only time I have given cash at a shower was for a friend that lived in the states and had no easy way of getting gifts home.
  • Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

$50 is a great idea. I know a lot of people usually spend about $50 on gifts so I think that would be great!

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Fiona!

Welcome to the Community!

I think whatever you can afford, and what works best for you, is what you should give. Do not feel guilty.

• Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Then do $50! that seems generous to me

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics