Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Curious September 2020 Alberta

Gambling packages

Slma, on September 2, 2019 at 11:09 Posted in Wedding reception 0 5
We are having some table games at our reception like poker and black jack. My fiance and I thought it might be kind of fun to create little packages that our guests could buy, so for example $20 buys you $2000 wedding bucks or $2 buys you $200 wedding bucks, and we'll make fake money to use as tokens for gambling and or buying drinks. (We are having a toonie bar.) So theoretically, guests who are decent at gambling will make more money and drink for free. Guests who suck at gambling, will put more towards their gambling and drinks and hopefully help offset the cost of the alcohol. Guests who don't gamble will still need to buy wedding bucks so that the bartender isn't dealing with any money. This way the dealers are also not handling real money. Has anyone ever done or seen anything like this? Is this a terrible idea? Does anyone know if I need any sort of special licensing to do something like this? (We are using a small hall in Canmore for our venue).

5 Comments

Latest activity by Steven, on February 16, 2024 at 10:39
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've never seen anything like this but it is interesting! I think you might need some charts up near the bar and game in order to explain how the token works with the bar and whatnot.

• BunnyBride
    Super August 2334 Nova Scotia
    BunnyBride ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Glad to be of help :-)

Hope everything turns out great. The idea is such a fun and unique one.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with BunnyBride - just make sure you check your provincial licensing requirements but it sounds like a good time to those who enjoy gambling!

Only other thing I would suggest is to have decks of cards for those who don't gamble so they don't have to participate. For example - some people are gambling addicts and this would suck for them, or for people like me that even though it is fake money I would get too much anxiety from this to participate.

• S
    Curious September 2020 Alberta
    Slma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for the info. I am going to follow up and make sure that everything is kosher. I've done a bit of community fundraising myself, so I know it can be really sticky with the rules. Just don't know what the rules are. Thanks for the feedback.

• BunnyBride
    Super August 2334 Nova Scotia
    BunnyBride ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

First, I love your idea!
    Though, I would encourage you to go directly to the branch of the government in Alberta that covers gambling and lottery licensing. Found the website if that helps: https://aglc.ca/gaming

I have helped run bingo and similar events for community/non-profit. There can be fines if you don't apply for the license or follow the guidelines. There simple in NS so don't worry about that part. I imagine it's the same in Alberta, but better to go straight to the horse's mouth.

One thing I do know is as soon as real money is involved at any point and involves chance to win (rather than skill, that's competition), it's considered a lottery or gambling at that point by the law.

If you were just giving them the fake money, that would be different story.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics