Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Beginner July 2022 Alberta

Friend/family officiating?

Amanda, on June 16, 2022 at 17:10 Posted in Alberta 1 9

Any of y'all having or had a family member or friend officiant their wedding? My future brother in law is officiating our wedding and he's applied for his temporary marriage commissioner license and has received that- but now we're a bit confused on what other paperwork is needed for the ceremony - ie: marriage license etc.

Has anyone else gone through this process that could shed some light? I find the information on the Alberta website to be quite confusing.

Does he apply for the marriage license and pick it up- or do we?
Is there anything else other than the marriage license that is required?

9 Comments

Latest activity by Amanda, on June 17, 2022 at 12:00
  • A
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you!!

• A
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Soo helpful- thank you for the info!

• Danielle
    Curious August 2022 Alberta
    Danielle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiancé's father is marrying us with a temporary marriage commissioner certificate.

His father filled out one page of paperwork and emailed it out. He received his certificate by email in about a week or two, it included detailed instructions on what to sign and submit, as well as a ceremony script to follow. It's super simple. Temporary marriage commissioner | Alberta.ca

You and your fiancé will need to attend a registry to apply for a marriage license separately yourselves. You need to apply within three months of the wedding date as the license is good for 3 months. We got ours at AMA which cost $80. We will give the marriage license to his father on the wedding day and two witnesses and my fiancé and I will need to sign it. Then, his father submits the license and we receive our official marriage certificate a few weeks later in the mail from vital statistics.

Hopefully this is helpful!

• A
    Super September 2022 Alberta
    Alyx ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If you call the alberta registries they should be able to explain the marriage license process, what you guys need to do and what you guys need to bring!
    When I called a few months ago the lady said all we have to is bring a couple IDs and do it within 90days of our wedding.
    I’ve heard to ask for multiple copies so that’s what I’m going to do just incase But I think that’s what you sign with your officiant and husband during your ceremony and then your or your officiant send it away ? Lol don’t quote me on that part but definitely give your local registry a call!
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If you go into your profile and click on edit, you can change the location

• A
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah, I haven't been able to figure out how to change it.

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ah. FYI, your profile says BC.

• A
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We're getting married in Alberta, and we live in Alberta.

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you're getting married in British Columbia, you need to go by BC's rules regardless if you normally reside in Alberta.

Not sure how things work in BC but in Ontario, you need to apply for your marriage license within 90 days prior to your wedding date and then the officiant conducts the ceremony and submits all paperwork to the government for you. From there, you can order your marriage certificate.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics