Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Erin
Beginner February 2021 Ontario

Flower alternatives?

Erin, on January 24, 2020 at 22:52 Posted in DIY 1 30

Hi everyone - I'm looking for some guidance/suggestions!

We are getting married in November, and I'm currently pricing flowers. I did anticipated a high cost, but it's still more than I was thinking. I'm quickly learning that flowers are not as important a detail for me to be spending the money on. Looking for suggestions or ideas for what others have done. Do I go wholesale and try to make my own? Did anyone have success with fake flowers? Just going to be bouquets for myself and 3 bridesmaids.

30 Comments

Latest activity by Baria, on February 8, 2020 at 17:44
  • Baria
    Curious July 2022 Quebec
    Baria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Was checking them. You got me convinced
  • B
    Newbie August 2021 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    OMG. That is super cool. The fact that some look real is amazing. Makes me wish I lived closer to Ontario lol!
  • Alison
    Frequent user August 2022 Ontario
    Alison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks! 🤗. I ordered them from AliExpress!
  • Liga
    Devoted June 2021 Quebec
    Liga ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WOW...Love those flowers...from where did you order them? They look real and beautiful!

• Margot
    Beginner June 2022 Quebec
    Margot ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Following..... I am also considering something borrowed blooms; they are super affordable. There is also bouqs (maybe USA only), Forever floral (custom wood flowers) and of course as someone mentioned Costco has great options. Let us know what you find out and choose.

• L
    Curious October 2020 Nova Scotia
    Linda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I've been stressing over the flowers and the cost, so I really love your comment, "great wedding, but those were obviously fake flowers." It makes me feel so much better.

• J
    Newbie June 2020 British Columbia
    Jenny ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I love things found in nature like salal, cedar boughs, other greeneries around. Especially nice for November.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm not sure - I think they are just the regular ones that your would buy at Michael's or something? My Baba is a florist so we were able to go to a wholesaler and buy them under her "business" name. She was a big help in it but to be honest we didn't have flowers anywhere else other than the bouquets so it wasn't like people were up close and able to inspect them. Only time that happened was when I had friends over and they saw them on the table. I don't think you can go that wrong with fake flowers no matter the material - nobody is going to have a takeaway from a wedding thinking "great wedding, but those were obviously fake flowers".

• Hrhofstx
    Beginner July 2020 Florida
    Hrhofstx ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    These look natural. Are these silk? How would you know the difference between quality, natural looking faux flowers and phony looking ones?
  • Hrhofstx
    Beginner July 2020 Florida
    Hrhofstx ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi! I just read that it is recommended to get faux flowers for things high up like an arch or greenery/flower wall backdrop. Then get fresh flowers for things closer up like centerpieces or bouquets. The centerpieces do not have to be any type of flower BTW. You can get creative with centerpieces.
  • Genna
    Curious July 2022 British Columbia
    Genna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Wow lots of great information... Hope you don't mind if I follow
  • Kelsey
    Frequent user August 2022 Alberta
    Kelsey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The ones at costco seem really reasonable! They have a whole online section dedicated to wedding/event flowers.
  • Tarra
    Beginner August 2020 Ontario
    Tarra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m ordering mine from Something Borrowed Blooms! They have amazing reviews, an awesome Facebook group where previous brides share tips and tricks, AND you return them after so there isn’t any waste. I’d highly recommend them!
  • Lee-Andréa
    Curious October 2021 Ontario
    Lee-Andréa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've been looking into different shaped leafy herbs, dried thistles/wheat etc, and cheap 'n easy things like baby's breath. The cost of florals can get way out of hand! Smiley smile Good luck!

• Alison
    Alison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks! 😊. I should also mention that most of them do come folded so you have to unbend them and kinda straighten them out. (Just so you’re not surprised!) Some reviewers said they steamed them too. I haven’t planned on doing that but good to know it’s an option! Hope it works out!!
  • Marcy
    Frequent user October 2020 Saskatchewan
    Marcy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I think they look beautiful! Love the colours together. I’m going to check out the website!
  • Alison
    Alison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I have received them! I think they look pretty good! (although I’m not a big flower person...maybe they look really fake to some other people lol). When ordering I just made sure I only ordered from postings that had a lot of reviews and with actual pictures. I haven’t actually made the bouquets yet but these pics are me just kinda trying to hold them together to see what they might look like together. (The big one being mine and the smaller one would be the bridesmaid ones)
    Flower alternatives? 1Flower alternatives? 2
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I had artificial flowers for my wedding and nobody could tell - heck, I kept my bouquet for a centrepiece in my home and had people over about a week after the wedding and they were saying they couldn't believe they lasted so long so well 😂 Had to inform them that they were fake!

Flower alternatives? 3

And you could always try and sell them after (or what I did was let my BM's keep theirs and I kept mine)

• Stephanie
    Curious July 2022 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm a huge book lover so I knew I wanted to have a bouquet using paper flowers. I found a seller in London, ON that creates paper flowers that are so good some of them look real. She's making me a custom bouquet with pages from my favourite book and other flowers in my wedding colours. It's great because she'll work with you to pick the types of flowers and colours you want, no need to worry about flowers being in season. Since it's custom the price is a little higher but the bonus is I'll be able to keep it. Though she also has some standard bouquets that are decently priced and look gorgeous, check out her website, 2CLVR Designs.

• Marcy
    Frequent user October 2020 Saskatchewan
    Marcy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Have you received them? Just wondered if they looked as good as they do in the pictures, I've considered ordering from there as well! They look nice, and you can't beat the price!

• Erin
    Beginner February 2021 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Those look so great!!
  • Kadi
    Curious August 2021 Alberta
    Kadi ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Flower alternatives? 4i saw this on Pinterest and I though it was a fun, unique, and cheep way to do flowers.
  • Angel
    Newbie September 2020 Ontario
    Angel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Fake flowers or the ones at the grocery store. That’s what i’m doing Smiley smile.

• Kelsey
    Newbie October 2019 British Columbia
    Kelsey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I had more greenery at my wedding with a touch of color. I'm not a huge flower person in the first place. My step mom cut vines from her neighbour, with permission of course, and my mom found a willow tree and knocked on the person's door. The older lady that lived there was happy to let her cut some down and even got out there and helped her. So the greenery was the table runners with a few purple flowers along the way.
    The flowers, boutonnieres and my bouquet I got from a sweet florist that helps keep things within your budget. I ended up paying around $500 on flowers. I'm not sure where you live, but I went to Westgate Florist in Maple Ridge, BC.
  • Amanda
    Devoted July 2020 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm doing fake ones. Bought from florals for less and they were really quick to reply (a huge bonus in my eyes) and very helpful in suggesting flowers for me when I sent a picture of the bouquet I was looking to recreate. I havent "made" my bouquet yet but all the pieces are in for me to assemble. I'm just not crafty and I'm not feeling brave enough yet 😅.
  • Alison
    Alison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I had the same experience when pricing out flowers. Everywhere was way more than we wanted to spend. I am making my bouquet and 3 bridesmaid bouquets out of flowers I ordered from aliexpress.com. As long as you're not in a rush, the prices are really great! It takes about 1-2 months for delivery though, because they come from Asia. I will be able to make all 4 bouquets for around $100 total. We also wanted some garland for our head table and bought some from Michaels when they had a 55% off coupon (sign up for their emails, there's coupons for at least 40% off every day!)

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Costco sells flowers in bulk and as stems if you want to build your own bouquets. They also sell bouquets and simple centerpieces.
    Faux is also a great option. I've been looking into afloral.com and they have tutorials on how to build a bouquet or you can buy ready made ones.
    If you aren't handy then Etsy is an amazing option to get faux flowers in a wide variety of materials. Paper, latex, silk, the possibilities are endless.
  • Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm not a flower lover so they weren't important to me, and I really wanted whatever my bouquet would be to mean something to me. So I found a shop on Etsy that makes flower bouquets out of book pages. I'm a huge book lover and asked the woman if she'd make them out of my favourite book, and she did! She even asked my wedding colour and added little tiny flowers in my wedding colour and I'm in love!
    Flower alternatives? 5
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I also have bought the sola flowers they are beautiful as is but I am going to dye some of them. I'm using them to make kissing balls as well for my centerpieces since I bought a lot of them.
  • Marissa
    Expert August 2019 Ontario
    Marissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We did sola flowers, and I highly recommend them. They are very real looking at half the price.
    Flower alternatives? 6

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics