Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kelsey
Frequent user August 2022 Alberta

Florist or Diy?

Kelsey, on January 17, 2022 at 21:37 Posted in DIY 0 16
Hello lovelies!

I'm trying to decide whether or not to hire a florist or DIY my flowes from somewhere like Costco. What are everyone's plans? Budgets if you feel comfortable sharing? DIY's what's your inspiration?
Would love any ideas or options!

16 Comments

Latest activity by Liberty, on February 8, 2022 at 00:34
  • Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Florist or Diy? 1
    This is what we are doing for our centerpieces. I recommend picking something simple if you are doing them yourself. I like that I only had to use 1 flower per bottle!
  • Narissa
    Newbie November 2022 Ontario
    Narissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Do you have photos of your DIY'd florals? Did you learn to DIY from YouTube or some other resource? What is you #1 tip you have for brides looking to maybe DIY centrepieces?

• KELLY
    Super October 2023 Ontario
    KELLY ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have to admit, I was also thinking of going the Costco/ DIY route. With such a small wedding party (3 BM, MH, and BM) I didn't think it would be tooo difficult and with 1.5 years to go I have the time to perfect my skills.

One thing I keep hearing is that Michaels has a huge artificial flower blowout sale every Fall, perhaps I will look into that as well.

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have the worst hayfever so real flowers were never an option for us. Since I have had so much time I decided to do the flower arrangements myself. I have spent about $300 on fake flowers, paint and greenery. I have over 1000 sola flowers to work with. I love that with sola wood flowers I can have any colour flowers I want. If I were going with real flowers I would likely do the Costco flowers only because I do have a friend who could help me the night before. I would have no idea how to arrange flowers and I wouldn't want to learn with a small time frame
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you!! Our florist did an amazing job!

• Allison
    Frequent user October 2022 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I love that shade of blue! & how great that you get to keep your bouquet!
  • B
    Beginner September 2022 Ontario
    Brittney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing a mix of both. We are getting our flowers from a local flower farm. They will be making the bouquets, boutonnières, corsages and arch decor. We are going with bud vases for our centrepieces and will be using their DIY bucket option for those.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you're using real flowers, hire a florist. Even if you DIY the arrangements the night before, they won't look good the next day because you don't have the proper storage for them (unless you have a specific fridge with proper humidity levels that can keep them fresh). It's a ton of work for subpar results.

• Malyssa
    Expert October 2022 Alberta
    Malyssa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm still trying to figure this out myself. I know I don't want to do real flowers, but there are alot of beautiful faux flower availability out there now too.

I'm reaching out to a few vendors just so I can get some quotes and its nice as they seem to stick with your budget so you don't over spend.

I really only need flowers for bouquets and boutonnieres as our decor vendor is providing floral pieces for our tables.

• Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We have DIYed the florals for our centerpieces with faux florals. Total for florals was about $50. Total cost for all the centerpieces is about $180.
    We hired a florist for my bouquet, 5 bridesmaids bouquets and 4 boutonnieres and that's going to cost around $600.
  • Farrah
    Curious April 2023 British Columbia
    Farrah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I decided to go with a florist because I didn't want to spend too much time worrying about doing my own and then screw it up and end up disappointed. In the past every time I've tried to DIY stuff ... it always goes wrong for me. Kudos to the brides that do though and I've seen some amazing DIY!! I just don't trust myself personally lol!!!

My budget for both decor and florals is $3000 - however this is broken down doesn't really matter to me, as long as we're within that budget! So far we are and the larger portion of that is towards florals (including floral arrangements for aisle/centerpieces, greenery for my backdrop, bride & bridesmaids bouquets, and 1 groom's boutonniere).

• A
    Super September 2022 Alberta
    Alyx ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My flower budget was 750
    I have 5 bridesmaids bouquets
    7 boutonnières Arch swag florals Eucalyptus garland no florals on rectangle table of 12 3 round tables with eucalyptus and florals My florist is in Calgary her company is lil pink daisy. Wonderful to work with. I told her my budget and she worked around it and did exactly what I wanted!
    Bouquets are exactly like this https://pin.it/1XtpdfoAnd boutonnières to match those
    These are the table florals https://pin.it/12fohHmhttps://pin.it/6vsRh5D

Arch florals we are reporpsing these and putting them on the head table infront of bride and groom https://pin.it/6rKbpw2

She’s doing cake florals for me for free https://pin.it/3ANxM2p

These are all the pictures I have shared with her. The only thing is it will be the colour of my bouquet florals not the white florals in some of the photos.
    She sets up everything, which saves me time and stress. Very cost effective. I will only have to buy a couple fake garlands at the dollar store for the gift table
  • Kelsey
    Kelsey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We have the same wedding date 😊 I'll definitely add them to my list of people to consider!
  • Jacquie
    Jacquie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I was going to DIY, but decided I didn't want to be up the night before my wedding putting together a bunch of floral arrangements.
    I see you are in Calgary, have you checked out Amborella floral? They have great prices and you can order a la carte on their website. They were the best option I found in the city.
  • Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

These are the final results

My Bouquet

Florist or Diy? 2

Florist or Diy? 3

Florist or Diy? 4

MOH Bouquet

Florist or Diy? 5

Florist or Diy? 6

Centerpieces for Guest Tables And Head Table are the same

Florist or Diy? 7

Florist or Diy? 8

Corsages

Florist or Diy? 9

Florist or Diy? 10

Boutonnieres

Florist or Diy? 11

Florist or Diy? 12

• Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiance and I went with a florist in Edmonton who does artificial flowers and it was the best decision we ever made! They won't wilt on the big day and they look real and feel real too!

Ours cost just under $1200 including labor for 2 bouquets, 5 corsages, 6 boutonnieres and 10 centerpieces

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics